Hiking First Aid

Hiking First aid Kit
This first aid kit is specially designed for hikers. The kit should confidently deal with most hiking medical emergencies.
Price R275-00
Please contact Neil Harris:
076 748 0043
therealneilharris@mweb.co.za

5 Likes

Could you give us the overall size and possibly the weight?

Added a photo with the dimensions and weight.
Thank you

3 Likes

This is really great - much better than the average kit sold commercially. Does this come with an insert/guide?

1 Like

The kit comes with a small guide covering the following basic first aid topics:
CPR
Bleeding
Heatstroke
Shock
Snake Bites

Thank you

1 Like

Good day

Do you still have some of these in stock?

Yes, I do have some in stock. Currently running a promotion where the Hiking First Aid Kit comes with a Free small Cuts and Grazes first aid kit.

Thank You

1 Like

How can i get 1 of these

First aid kits are an interesting topic.

Items that are absolutely essential:

• Plasters (and something to cut them with, if they are the tape type - which I prefer to carry as it is more versatile)
  • Cotton swabs
  • Antiseptic cream
  • En electrolyte supplement such as Rehidrat or Hammer Endurolytes
  • Something to stop bleeding, a bandage is first prize, but you can use your buff, or even tear strips off your clothing if you don’t have something suitable

The most important point on first aid is knowing how to use everything. The best first aid kit on earth is useless if you don’t know how to use it. I always wonder why basic first aid isn’t taught at school.

I carry my own put together kit with items from Clicks/Dischem - it weighs under 100g and is carried in a small packet on my hikes. I never hike without it - I even carried it on Mnweni Marathon last weekend.

4 Likes

Please use contact info below should you wish to place an order.

Cell: 076 748 0043
E-mail : therealneilharris@mweb.co.za

Thank you

I agree having a kit is useless if you don’t know how to properly use the items. It important to go for atleast first aid level one. I also put together my own kit with my own needs in mind and what I can use according to my level of skill

Hi TRNH

This medikit looks great and seems to contain a lot of important things at a decent price. I recently completed a comprehensive first aid course and am now looking at these things with a different view. All the best x

Having been exposed to the worst hiking can subject one to, I have to add my own 2 cents if that’s ok.

Tourniquet-I would venture 90% of people will use a tourniquet incorrectly and do more harm than good, especially during a snake bite. Having experience with both neurotoxic and cytotoxic snakes I can tell you that this is bad. Rather than waste time on a tourniquet, calm the hell out of the person. Their elevated heart rate complicates things much more. Snake bites can often also be harmless as there is no venom in the glands at the time (tell them this). The most poisonous will kill you in 20min due to lack of oxygen or heartbeat (CPR can help here- and extend there lifespan till paramedics arrive). Therefore knowing the local poison center, being able to identify the local snakes (come on people just memorize what an adder vs cobra looks like) will do wonders. Avoid grass and look before you plant your behind on a rock.

Cotton-using cotton in open wounds is inadvisable as the microfibers sticks in the wound helping along bacterial infection. Use antiseptic wipes instead.

Plasters-makes use of adhesive that degrades over time when not used. I never carry them on a hike because I hate seeing people’s plasters along a trail. I prefer Coban bandages (https://www.dischem.co.za/coban-bandage-76-2mmx4-57m-n). They can wrap around a finger or ankle, never fall off, sticks to itself like a glove with no sticky residue and can supplement all other bandages.

Blisters-Most blisters are plasma accumulation under the skin (the pressure hurts but don’t always cut it open). You get these awesome gel based covers that help protect a toe and minimize pressure. If you do cut it open rather use a iodine based antiseptic (i.e. betadine) than an antibacterial cream. The latter will become less effective over time and resistant bacteria will contaminate it (complicating future use). You’ll end up giving yourself an infection rather than stopping it.

Eye pad?- Is this for if your contact slides into an inacc spot?

Also, as I only ever plan to use the kit on me and family, I remove the mouthpiece and replace the burn-shield with a larger one. When push comes to shove and you need it (a gas canister bursts or someone falls into an open fire or picks up a heated pot) you want to have A LOT of it.

There are a few medical items I add to the first aid to stop the worst of situations for the following symptoms:

1. Dehydration through diarrhea (either bacterial or viral infections)
  2. Allergic reactions
  3. Pain

I’ll give my reasons and suggestions below:

1. Most tourists think the filters on the market are fool proof and will stop any bacteria or virusses. Most filters will start clogging after the 1st use and the effectiveness decreases with each use. The likelihood of you having an upset stomach is high and I am sorry but rehydrate gets you only so far. You do not want a medivac because you got the local flu. Antinausea and Loperamidehydrochloride (cchronic diarrhea) is essential. More so than scissors (I always carry a knife as a substitute anyway).

2. Not much to this, but I always keep an emergency stash for allergic reactions to spider bites etc.

3. Muscle fatigue isn’t pain (just to be clear). But some pain can be crippling and therefore I include paracetamol and an antinflammatory (reduces swelling). Helps with slight sprains and sinus migraines (due to excessive pollen/ smoke).

I also don’t separate my hiking 1st aid from my home kit like most people as this usually amounts to products deteriorating. Rather check the 1st aid kit every time before you start the hike.

Personal note: All the stuff I mentioned is over the counter items that do not require a prescription. Some kits like the 2 person one’s from sportsman/outdoor warehouse comes with some of them included. If your unsure, just ask the opinion of the pharmacist.

4 Likes

Very helpful information, thanks @Gerda!