Jim Green Razorback

Does anybody own a pair of Jim Green Razorback boots? How would you rate them? What’s the hardest hike you’ve done in them?

Hi Arno. I used my Jim Greens mostly on the farm. One of the few pairs of boots to last sufficiently long to wear the soles down. Most other boots disintegrate before this point. I would have them resoled but put a hole in one boots topside - barbed wire. I might mention that they are not even slightly waterproof. They are wide and comfortable. Do not sit with your feet in the
fire. The glue holding the soles on do not like the heat. I would attach a photo but do not know how to.

2 Likes

I know youve reviewed them, and Ive enquired previously.

Today whilst conducting a briefing with my boots about my expectations for them on the upcoming hike they promptly split at the heel and Im not going to get them repaired before departing for the Fish Rover Canyon in 6 days.

So down to Drifers in Cape Town, and tried on both the Monsters and the Razorbacks.

I ended up buying the Razorbacks. The sole on the Monsters is taller, but is not any more cushioned or softer. the Monsters sole is also noticeably less wide, hence the Razorbacks offer more surface area and a more planted feel (whilst being wider)

The Monsters were more comfortable with their softer uppers and their toes boxes whilst thinner were not uncomfortable at all.
the Monsters also had the funky locking eyelet which I thought was awesome.
The Razorbacks have an exposed felt lining between the sole and the uppers, where any moisture will creep up into the boot, hence this needs attending to to make them suitable for walks in wet grass. The Razorbacks sole is glued to the leather making them more waterproof.

The Razorbacks felt like they offered more ankle support, but that might just be the wider sole.

I ended up buying the Razorbacks, and will be walking into the Canyon in 6 days time.

I know not the perfect recipe but Im sure it’ll be fine and this is the great start to a conversation involving poor decision making!

@scubafrique Not that I think you need to be told this as you are a regular poster on this site, but I strongly suggest getting as much walking and wearing in them before your walk. Having a pair myself and having sold many when I worked at an outdoor store these boots are solid and strong but like an old diesel engine require a bit of warming up before reaching its full potential! I have been on the receiving end of some mean blisters when I went up in the berg in my Razorbacks before wearing them in. Wax, thick socks and time (albeit limited) should do the trick!

Touching on your comments I agree with everything you mentioned. I am sure you would have noticed the weight difference as well with the monsters living up to their name, its still a solid boot but in a bit more of a niche market than the razorbacks!

All the best for your trek along the fish river!

1 Like

:rofl:

can’t wait for “Episode 2”

1 Like

yep - 5ks flat walk yesterday one pair of socks and I started getting the hot spot of a beginnings to a blister on my right heel. Left Foot absolutely fine.
Put on two pairs of socks for the rest of the day.
5ks again this morning then wore them riding the motorbike up to Langebaan and back (two pairs of socks) I can feel the hot spot on my heel still.

Need to radically abuse the heel contact area rapidly - its not smooth leather but rather the suede outer style, whats the general consensus on applying leather wax to this (the inside of the heel contact areas)

Other than that comfy, and left foot very satisfied! I’ll wear toe-socks inside hiking socks on the hike so that’ll be fine, and I’m going to buy extra large blister pads. I have duct tape to put over the wear patch on my heel so all good I guess.

And if you’re (or anyone is) mildly interested pm me your email address and I can add you to the Garmin InReach track with the 3 preset messages, so you’ll see the start and stop point as well s the route inside the canyon. (should be really great If I can harness a Horse or get that Vespa started.)

Finished Fish River in the New Boots, and not a single blister, nothing at all.

I was meticulous with the foot care, always dry always one pair of thick long socks and one pair fo ankle socks, I tried ankle socks inside as well as outside the thick socks, didn’t notice any difference.

For me the AR Gaiters kept out the dust and sand admirably and we obviously swam 3x a day

Lots to say about the boots, I didn’t let them get wet at all, and we only used the river shoes once - what a waste of weight, I could have walked 100m up/downstream at the 50km mark and not had to go through the deep section.
My concern is the exposed felt lining getting wet and pulling moisture into the boots.
The grip was spectacular didn’t slip once on the crossings, lots of float on the sand (They’re wide) and they gave great protection from the jagged rocks and scree slopes.

They’re heavy at just under 1kg a boot, but were incredibly supportive, several supported places with the ankles that would have rolled in shoes, but not a think at all.

If Im gushing I am a bit, the only down side being that they’re 100gm lighter than my British Army issue Winter boots, which are waterproof(er) goretex lined and quite a bit higher and more supportive, so for what the Razorbacks are, they’re a heavy built boot, and thats the quality.

If I could criticise, Id say they could have more underfoot cushioning in the insole, which Ill look into, but to clap 70+ FishRiver Canyon Kilometres after owning them only 7 days (including the drive up) They’re amazing
Also worth noting is that they’re very similar to the Strassbergers From Clanwilliam which as a Kaapie, I should prefer, but I dont!

2 Likes

i Had to replace my soles as they had no grip in wet conditions. I did Magoebas and almost fell into the river more than once. I had them resoled this week with softer ones and they seem to walk better with a bit more “bend” and softness on the feet.