What cookset do you use?

As per the subject line, I think that it would be interesting to know what type of cookset our fellow hikers use on a multi-day hike and why?

Additionally, if you are currently using a cookset and you are not happy with it, tell us why.

I currently use a old school, government issued Dixie set. It’s a bit heavy weighing in at 522grams but it holds sentimental value as my dad and I both used them while on patrol. Other than the weight, heat conduction is great and the bigger Dixie can hold ± 1L

1 Like

I am a big fan of these billy sets. The set comes in three different sizes ranging from 1.2L to 3L so perfect to break up as per the needs of a 1 person or group set. The whole set weighs 700grams but it can be split between a group. It also nests perfectly together with the smallest one a perfect size to hold the gas canister.

What I love most about these are the handles which can be used to hang above a fire or coals to cook your food if you do not have gas. I have unfortunately not yet found these in South Africa.

As a bachelor I used one 1-litre pot with a flip-up handle that locked the lid in place for storage. It worked really well. It was light, cheap and my little MSR Pocket Rocket fit inside.

Since I’ve been married and cooking for two, the 1-litre pot got a bit small. Also the meals went up a notch from 2-minute noodles :smile: Now we use the MSR Alpine 4 pot set. It has a 1L, 2L and 3L pot, but the 1L generally stays at home. They’re expensive, but work really well and last a lifetime. The MSR Alpine 2 pot set is also a great option.

1 Like

I like the fact that your canister and stove can fit into the above pot-sets. I would say that this is another downside to my Dixie’s. This being said i still have enough space for my cleaning utensils and our sporks and therefore, i’m not wasting this space.

I would like to upgrade from my Dixies but for some reason i cant find a set which grabs my attention or offers a substantial benefit.

@Douweg I like the handles on those pots and the depth of that frying pan

1 Like

I use the MSR Alpine cookset (2 & 3L) for car camping. Still going strong, purchased in 1999. Complete now with bear claw scratch.
For Backpacking I use Evernew Ti pots (insulated handles): 1.3L and 0.9L and/or Snowpeak Ti mug (gas canister can fit inside & a teeny stove)
I don’t like carrying heavy.
I’ll take all of the above if going with the wife, else the Mug is all I need for boiling water for coffee, blanching broccoli etc.
Not a fan of cooking on hikes. Need something quicker, as Mr Grumpy at night.

There is talk that Aluminium can cause potential health risks, so gone the Titanium light route.
Cheers
Nature Boi

2 Likes

I use a White Box Stove. (Google it). This must be the lightest and most minimalist stove by far. Fuel (methylated spirits) is cheap and easily obtainable and it boils a mug or two of water in no time. So why don’t the hiking stores sell them? I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer.

2 Likes

Hlo all new to site :grinning:Trangia 28 t source pan . 6lt frying pan ,trangia kettle.6lt with trangia triangle with burner

1 Like

That’s quite a slick little cooking set. Is it available in South Africa?

Yes I put the link below.http://www.canoekayak.co.za/Trangia_Stoves.html

http://www.canoekayak.co.za/Trangia_Stoves.html

1 Like

Like your white box much more simple and practical than my trangia meth burner👍

@Richard, a lot of the hiking stores are in malls/ centers, which prohibit the stores from stocking certain items or chemicals. Additionally, the insurance will be through the roof due to potential fire hazards and third party claims; should a demo go wrong.

There was a similar unit on the market about 5 years ago. It was a thick green gel based liquid which served as the fuel. It was marketed as a eco-friendly fuel source as the gases released were not harmful to the environment. Long story short, due to user error an unfortunate young lady spilt the gel over herself. The gel stuck onto her and the more she tried to wipe it off, the more the fire and gel spread. She sued the company and soon the product vanished from the shelves - I guess retailers and manufacturers just don’t want to take that chance

1 Like

Yes that makes a lot of sense. I could have added that one shouldn’t be using one after having a few drinks… :wink: But other types of stove can go wrong too and I have seen one of those any-type-of-fuel pump up things departing the camping area in the form of an out of control flaming comet after being flung from a tent it had nearly set alight…

Cooking with a white box stove requires practice and I enjoy the challenge. Although the flame isn’t easily adjustable, I can cook pasta and even rice by placing the pot in a beanie which functions like a haybox, after the flame has gone out.

White box stoves are available in South Africa. Go to White Box Stove | PVP - Outdoors

1 Like

:joy::joy: :joy: that made me laugh!! Jip all stoves and gas canisters can be dangerous! Thanks for the link, il go check it out

I also use the Dixie’s with a nesting cup for my plain old surplus water bottle

1 Like

Hello! I am new to the forums here and hope to contribute my bit. I have a quick question regarding cooking on hikes. I came across this new stove that uses little bits of scrap sticks for fuel in a combustion type of way. Would you recommend this on a 5/6 day hike? Also what effect do you think will wet conditions have on it.

Kombuis a portable and efficient rocket stove / cooking set.7e07fe348b35ccea519062b20c4afcee_original

So. Where to begin?!

I have used something similar (BioLite) a while back. A friend of mine bought one back from USA, and we gave it a try on a short camping trip. It was just a gimmik, nothing more.
With this new product I see similar problems:

• The fuel needs to be small enough to fit the spout, yet have enough mass/energy to fuel a fire for enough heat to cook. And after a days worth of hiking do you want to scavenge around for fuel?
  • Lots of places don’t allow for collection of wood for fuel.
  • In wet and rainy conditions, the wood will not burn as easily.
  • 1kg is kind of heavy for hiking.
  • Build up of soot on pots and pans.
  • Very unstable, considering a 1L pot on top, no baseplate or feet.
  • I’m not really sure that grade 304 stainless steel is suitable for the pots (Food-safe), for the cooker yes.

Then the creator has nothing to support this product. Instagram feed seems really shallow, nothing else to his name. This product might just be one of the thousands that end up not being completed.

Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Hello Springbok

Thank you! Your points are valid, also some that the kickstarter community members pointed out.

So gas would be the best for a long hike? I have not hiked a multi day hike with gas so I have no experience as to how long one of the canisters last…

I agree with @Springbok - not a practical solution in South Africa, especially not in Western Cape where the tiniest spark can end up burning down half a mountain range (Cederberg is a great example).

Gas stoves are perfect. depending on your cooking style, a 230g gas canister should last one person for 5 days easily. For my wife and I, I generally carry a 450g bottle and haven’t ever run out on a 5-day hike which included boiling water at lunch time as well.

I can highly recommend the Fire Maple FMS-105.

3 Likes

I’m getting one of these in 2 weeks time.

Great point! :rofl:

Back to shopping for gas :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: