Bag recommendations (both kinds :))

PAPSAK! You can see you are a seasoned hiker looking to save weight! We were going to bring bottles!

1 Like

Would say 50L is probably the most flexible size. I run a 40L pack which has done me well for most 3-5 day trips. But carrying 3-4 liters of water plus 5 days food can be a squeeze.

The Osprey packs deserve their reputation. An Exos 58 is a great combination of light weight plus volume, my only issue with the Exos is that for some reason they stripped off the hipbelt pockets in the latest models. Would irritate me, but also something you could add back on.

Have to say unless I was doing some long hauls in serious cold weather, I’m not sure what I would do with more than 50L. I would guess be tempted to bring more stuff along I would then regret half way up a mountain :sweat_smile:

The big thing for freeing up pack space for me has been moving to a down quilt. Way more compressible than synthetic. The advice I often see is buy your gear first, then a pack to fit it all. But a tough thing to pull off if you just want to get hiking, as you can often borrow bits and pieces but need a pack.

1 Like

Oh, also dig into the pack specs with this. There isn’t a standardized way of measuring this. Often the companies are mixing and matching measurements, sometimes it is only the main pack volume, other times they are measuring pack plus external pockets.

You can find Osprey spec here…

Your post has got me thinking about packs available locally again and poking around :sweat_smile:

It might be a little tight in terms of size, and I would definitely want to look at it in person to get a sense of size. But the Osprey Talon 44 is standing out of the stuff available. It’s 1 KG, has a frame, a full set of pockets including a shoulder pocket. Smartly lets you access your hydration sack externally if that’s thing you use.

https://www.futurama.co.za/osprey-talon-44-backpack-s-m-black/

Feels a lot like the Exos but a bit more flexibility in terms of the storage. Interesting that it doesn’t seem to be mentioned much.

Gregory Optic might also be worth a look now that they are retailing here.

1 Like

@Jaxz (talon44) It’s a nice pack, for sure. My cousin has one and just did Tsitsikamma with him, he’s happy with it. General opinion online (and his) is it won’t handle more than 13kg very well. but then who wants to carry more than that. Features are nice, geared towards a 'fast ‘n light’ mindset, often used by trail runners. Criticism of the ‘external hydration access’ is that it creates a bulge into the back. Pack also sits very flush with your back, for some this means “sweaty in summer” or “cold in winter”, for others this means “stability and a good working-with-you ride”. It’s very light, consequently not for folks rough with their kit as fabrics are thin.
I actually compared it closely with the Exos when I bought my pack and would have to say it is the better choice. Exos hipbelts/support seemed very insubstantial to me.

As an aside, I read recently Ghaznavid did a DGT with Talon33, here:

I also looked at the Mammut Lithium Crest 50+7 at City Rock like last week, was on sale for about R2000, light-ish, medium-haul bag with nice detailed features. I only felt the shoulder straps were a bit measly, and I don’t need a pack.

1 Like

I will go look at shops and see what’s what. I have no gear at the moment so i’m building up from nothing and that 'fast ‘n light’ mindset makes so much sense. I am there to enjoy the walking part of it first and foremost so that will be my priority. There are lots of other days I can go glamping. I also really enjoy the prepping aspect and this provides a bit more fun (challenge?) in that area as well.

My dream pack as it stands is the Hyperlite mountain gear 2400. WOW. Just incredible design, I love the simplicity of it coupled with the techy fabric.

Locally I want to look at:
Gregory Optic 48
Osprey Archeon 45
Osprey Levity 45
Osprey Exos 48

I know that all of these are great, just up to personal preference at this stage. I’m also in no rush whatsoever which helps.

My attempted GT last year was with a 26 litre Mountain Hardwear pack that weighs 600g empty. The reason for bailing was that my teammate got sick around Champagne Castle, so we bailed down Grays. Pack performed very well.

Bear in mind I have a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer -7c bag that weighs 900g and folds up very small, and a Thermorest X-lite 4ft air mat that weighs 230g and also folds very small. I also don’t take a change of clothes or a tent* - so a 26 litre pack is actually fine, it is just a bit full at the start.

• I do carry a bivy bag, so I do have some cover in an emergency.

Have had the experience of getting back into hiking after it not being a thing in my life since I was younger, but has meant that I don’t really have much legacy gear lying around and have tried to go light from the get go.

I suggested a friend pick up the Eja which she seems to love, has now told me very politely that I can shut up about the Talon haha. Apparently second guessing is not appreciated when the purchase has been made :sweat_smile:

I’d like to grow a nice pelt? Wire-haired terrier style, one thick gorse-like outer over a soft comfy finer body hugger.

What are you eating man? Dust? Basotho goats? :rofl:

But yes, to go all Japanese and miniscule one must behave Japanese. Can just imagine a 26L filled to the brim with the tried and trusty First Ascent Ass Breaker.

Was going to ask about that, caves I thought.

No but seriously, what do you eat? To keep going like that. Share a link if you like, I’d be happy to read on.

Same here.
I do still have some kit from the 80’s tho, engineered from elephant hide and diesel.

Since years I carry only a 50l Lowe Alpine for up to 6 days nonstop on the mountain filled with everything from good food (fresh, not just dehydrated) to clothes, pot & stove, one (or two) man MSR tent, first aid kit, communication and 10V solar panel and 3l of water. If it does not fit inside the bag (!) leave it at home! Enjoy your hikes!!!

1 Like

@_Dieter in response to your post on the various packs. The best option is really to go into the shop and feel which one sits better on your back. I went to Drifters wanting an Exos, but after fitting it I rather went with the Mutant which is actually a climbing pack. This means it doesnt have suspension but sits flush against the back. Doesnt ventilate as well, but is GREAT for climbing / scrambling / bushwacking. A bit of a weird choice but it worked in the shop and now I am in love. That said, I also have the big cushy pack and nothing beats a good suspension setup for long days and comfort.

If you are starting out - aim for the lightest gear possible, but dont get too caught up in this “fast and light” trend. There is either some kind of sacrifice being made (heat, food, comfort), or the fast and light person is an investment banker and his gear collection is worth more than a small car.

Most of the people punting fast and light are people that have earned it, i.e. they have put in the hard yards and likely know the areas that they travel in like the back of their hand. You can get caught with your pants down if you dont know what you are doing. I have done missions “fastpack” style, but only if I have been on the route before and know exactly what to expect.

Mostly, I way prefer having sufficient warm clothing to actually enjoy being outside at night. For example, on a recent offtrail 7-day hike, the “fast and light” fanboy had a 13kg pack, but he was in his tent by 6pm every day, eating his military food rations in solitude. The rest of us were in the 18-22kg range, and we happily sat outside every night until 9pm, having tea, eating together and enjoying the stars. In line with this, you gauge your preparedness with the rest of the group.

I hope this doesnt get interpreted as a rant, just trying to give some perspective. it is very easy on the internet to get inspired by mountaineers that have earned their keep over many years of mistakes, only to realise that you are in over your head when the shit hits the fan. The shit doesnt hit the fan often but if it does, it can be a sordid display of real and uncontrollable horror that one does not want to repeat.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Gerrie! I was at Drifters this weekend and they all feel really comfy! That shop blew my mind and I could feel my wallet sweating as I entered… I wonder if they will do custom invoices so they match what I tell my wife. :joy:

The Mutant does look really great. I like the hardier material because I would hate to snag something a bit thinner on a thorn. We plan to do a few of the Kruger hikes and thorn protection isn’t something really highlighted from any of the big brands. Should this even be a concern for me?

Nah I don’t need to earn fastpack style. There are people that do nothing but hike so why not learn from them and get to as light as possible as quick as possible. I know what comforts I am willing to sacrifice and I know what gear is non negotiable. Maybe I will even cut my toothbrush in half :sweat_smile: (Warmth and nutrition I would count as safety and I will never skimp there.)

The sacrifices you talk about are two-way I feel? The more comfortable you are when camp is set up, the less comfortable you had to be carting the stuff there. I am new to this but I don’t think your “fast and light” fanboy example helps at all. You can’t gauge his preparedness just because he didn’t eat and chill with you. Hiking shouldn’t be competitive.

I use a Thule Capstone Mens 40L, and one can add accessories depending on one’s requirements for a hike. Seehttps://thulestore.co.za/thule-capstone-40l-mens-atlantic-1339

The Mutant is actually not that durable - on its very first outing on Table Mountain the sandstone ripped a nice big hole in it, but Osprey repaired it no questions asked. This pack is about 1kg, so it is very lightweight materials, which are a compromised on durability.

Regarding the lightweight comments, of course you can (and should) get the best possible gear to keep weight as low as possible, within your means. You are right that it is a trade off - the ones that carry heavier during the day may be more comfortable at night. My “fanboy” example wasnt meant as a competitive point, more the fact that he was physically colder and hence had to retreat to the comfort of his tent very early each night (it was made a bit tongue in cheek). This is more relevant in wilderness environments, at higher altitudes, and in winter. For the Otter and Kruger, 1 x day outfit plus long johns, a light puffy and a beanie for the evenings would be ample (and a rain jacket of course).

1 Like

Thule pack seemed very nice! Also had a look at them this weekend. Hard to find a lot of reviews on them though? Have you had an Osprey or similar to compare it to?

Ah I see now Gerrie! Yeah if his gear limited what he was able to do then that’s a whole different story. We booked otter today so we have a year to get streamlined. Going to Lesotho in a few weeks but nothing overnight just yet until we have some proper gear.

No, I have a Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10, but this is for when I’m carrying a tent, and full kit. The Thule is great for using when going hut-to-hut. There’s a review on the Thule Capstone 50L at Gear Review: Thule Capstone 50L men's backpack - Modern Hiker

1 Like

Dieter something occurred to me this morning to add and it’s this…
Even though Cape Storm and First Ascent kit is not the best around and largely copied they both have very good after service locally. I’ve had kit repaired and replaced for free, no argument. They are both owned by Performance Brands (Sportsmans/Outdoor Whorehouse) so there’s the giant behind the curtain. FA is a bit inconsistent and CS is not too grand. But they’ll do the job. CS used be really good, FA too. my down jacket from way back when is still incredible and they repaired the zip I mangled for zip.
Just worth knowing.

Very good point and I have never really given them a second glance! Same for me and K-way. I would much rather get something from Decathlon or aliexpress, especially for items that aren’t that crucial. Decathlon has an awesome looking down jacket for R900. If it’s good enough for Europe it will be just fine for here.

Speaking Aliexpress, this brand has some great offerings https://3fulgear.com/ along with Naturehike. We seem to have a local rep this side anyways. https://naturehike.aliexpress.com/store/2878009