Hiking boots

I have another pair, Superiors. But their grip is utterly useless in wet conditions.

Main point not mentioned above though is my feet are on the narrow side. So maybe it’s as simple as that…get narrower trail runners? But once you’ve worn Altra, and in my case with thick Bridgedale woollen socks, most other shoes feel like vices around your feet.

1 Like

There’s really nothing quite as annoying as walking a long trek up a side slope on an inclined path with your feet pushing to the outside if your boots.

This is where technically supportive boots come into their own- your post just dragged back the memory - it was on the slopes of Mt Kenya had to walk about 15 km to fetch a fuel pump 7 km down 7 k up the whole way on sloping single track in Veldskoon Han it was odious!

I’ve just brought a pair of Innov8 Rocklite G286 (literally opened the box 15 minutes ago brought online cheap) and for the past 14 minutes I’ve been really impressed - now I’ve just realised that these will be shite on a side sloping path

Minimum you’ll want are high ankle rigid boots that offer structural rigidity

From whom?
I see there’s two Inov8 sites for SA…(Inov8 and Inov-8), one claiming to be original, warning the ‘other’ is a scam.

1 Like

So much info on this thread, battled to read everything word for word - but thought I’d add some points which I didn’t see mentioned (if I’ve missed it, apologies) about boots vs trail runners.

Looking at people who ‘hike’ for a living, like rangers, military and guides:

• Tough construction boot options, some chosen, some issued. Usually full grain leather, high ankle support.
  • Tough feet & ankles…a lot of folks overlook the importance of strengthening their feet (3 arches, tendons and the muscles in-between, etc).
  • Worn-in properly, some are quick, others not so much.

From a risk perspective:

• Chances of a tweaked or broken ankle versus the effect (can you walk out, or will you need rescue / trips possibly lost due to recovery time / if an emergency occurs, can you deal with it, i.e.: snow on escarpment while wearing trail runners).
  • I have strong feet and ankles, but have injured & almost come short too many times to take the chance going forward (but with balance…i.e.: I’ll happily hike with my T-rockets and light daypack up to 8kms in the lower berg, but my boots are donned for anything higher or heavier. Awaiting Altra’s for in-between).
  • There are two, strong ‘camps’ with this one. For me, as long as one has put some decent thought into the ‘what if’, you’ll at least have a more rounded picture of what you should wear per type of trip and live your life / take the risk accordingly.
  • Feedback from rescue personnel is that ‘injured ankle rescues’ are more common than one would think.

Background - I’ve used HiTec, Becks, Jim Greens, Salomon (various) and La Sportiva’s…all literally fell off my feet or I couldn’t wear them in properly (okay, the Becks were abused…and I’m light on my kit). Some materials don’t like Saffer climate (hot/dry/cold/wet/etc).
Currently I’m using military-type Lowa SF GTX 8" boots. Loving them. I use waterproof gaiters and when wet or raining I use rain pants over the gaiters.

Hope that helps broaden the considerations a bit.

1 Like

Brought in the UK from Sportshoes.com)
The UK website I now see has the innov8 G400 reduced from £200 to £130 kinda wanted to buy these. But wasn’t prepared to spend £200 on an untested show.
These are a grade 5 toe pocket size which I’d appreciate and a taller drop heel to toe as well as offering the most durable shoe and probably more robust
The Innov8 G286 I’ve found [now] is almost like a running shoe, just taller at the front and very soft like a running shoe. Also the heel is quite low so you can expect muck to creep in the rear quite easily, however it’ll be pretty good with AS gaiters.
I have to commend their waterproofing (at this stage)

1 Like

They look very appealing. Been eying them for some time.

Don’t know how much I’ve walked in these but I’ve worn them for 12000 steps a day 3 times per week since buying and have sone thoughts.
The G286 is a glorified trainer not that supportive and despite lions it feels more of a running shoe than anything else - spontaneous 3 k run chasing bloody puppy across a farm field - no problem at all

The tread is incredible - for those that ride dual sport motorbikes it’s like putting scrambler tyres on
Seriously oodles more grip than salamon speedcross 4’s just in the lug pattern. It’s simple but effective

I’ve not had one slip yet on loose rocks wet road or loose paths - nothing at all. (It’s actually uncanny)
So much better than Vibram soles grip wise, much better than Adidas Terrex and swift’s on every terrain.
I’ve no comments about the hype of graphene durability but definitely much better than speedcross4’s despite being as soft
I kind of love these! For every day and light & fast walks
I need to try the 400’s to see if they’d support a heavy pack but off the bat right now as soon as my ASICS running shoes are buggered I’m getting a pair of Innov8 Graphene running shoes! Just make sure they’re four width size 5

Mike those Lowa boots how’re they working out for you? Do they have a sterling shank in them?

I’ve looked but never actually tried them on

I’ve got the Z8S GTX in dark brown…no shank as far as I know.
The sole is quite stiff though.

Got them at the beginning of 2020 - very happy.
The grip is showing wear/chunking a bit. I guess it’s on the soft side; looking at the intended use.

I’m in KZN, you’re welcome to have a squiz if you’re ever nearby.