No solo hiking allowed by CapeNature?

side note here, I use to be able to fastpack some cape nature trails solo in the past if I signed their indemnity forms but something changed in 2021/2 and they stopped allowing it. assuming due to the influx of instagram hiking models after covid. it’s a shame because their trails are usually well maintained and quite suitable for running with a fastpack. some times you just want to put in some distance and leave the chatterboxes behind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you drive on the N3 to from Gauteng to the Drakensberg, you are more likely to die driving on the way rather than hiking alone in the Drakensberg.

2 Likes

Hi Greg,

I share your surprise and concern about the minimum requirement for hiking permits. Your commitment to safety and preparedness is commendable, and it’s unfortunate that the current policy doesn’t accommodate experienced solo hikers. Exploring options like joining MCSA could indeed be beneficial, offering both companionship and a chance to engage with like-minded individuals who may have insights on solo-friendly trails.

It might also be worth reaching out directly to CapeNature to express your concerns and inquire about any exceptions or alternatives they may offer for experienced solo hikers. Your voice could contribute to positive changes in their policies.

Happy trails and safe hiking!
Zaki

1 Like