On being ketogenic and hiking

I met someone on a 5 day hike some time ago who are on a keto diet. He ate small amounts of fatty food and was a very strong hiker. Because of this I was immensely impressed and motivated to do it myself. So I did it. It was not easy and took some time to optimize but absolutely worth the effort.
I am even more impressed now with the results and was wondering who else are doing this?

1 Like

It seems to work for several of my friends who do underwater hockey or triathlons. I do not think the diet would benefit me as I suffer from genetic hypercholesterolemia. A condition whereby cells struggle to absorb cholesterol and therefore artificially increases blood ldl&hdl levels. You can be fit as a fiddle and still suffer heart attacks due to high fat intake. It is more common than people realize. I am glad that the diet works for hiking though, will pass on the info*

1 Like

I’m Banting for the past two years, started hiking as a result of it but haven’t done any serious hikes just day hikes with the family. I just take water and maybe some seeds and nuts. I have the energy and drive to do outdoor things which I last felt about 20 years ago. so i dont regret it one bit and would recommend anyone to follow it

1 Like

I am pretty much full carnivore for an autoimmune condition. I recently did the full Tsitsikamma trail (5 nights). I braaied steak for the first 2 nights, and did the rest of the trail on home-made pemmican bars (the bulk of my calories), fresh eggs, canned tuna and olives. I also made sure I got enough electrolytes in, with my water or on my eggs (regular salt, potassium salt and a cal-mag supplement).

It’s really helped with my condition, physical and mental stamina, and body composition. As you say, it’s a bit of a challenge transitioning to burning fat, a bit anti-social in terms of eating out, and I spend quite a bit of time on food prep, but it’s totally worth it for me.

2 Likes

Guys and Ladies I am naturally skeptic of anything that is not as natural as can be and keto, banting and all those types of fads are exactly that to me.

You might experience short term gains but please investigate the long term effects to your health…

My opinion, yes, but be intentional about your short-term and long-term health😉

1 Like

It is true that starting off skeptic is always a good approach. From a genetic point of view I always opt for the individual approach as no two people harbor the same microbiome. Plant protein complexes have a tendency to trigger autoimmune responses that can prove life threatening, therefore meat is a good alternative. High glucose intake is known to be bad for cancer patients as cancer cells live predominantly on glucose. Therefore, substitution is necessary. Humans do not produce the enzymes required for complete digestion of plant material. In fact it is the bacteria in your gut that breaks it down for you and some people do not have the required bacteria. This can lead to painful stomach aches or bloatedness. Other people like myself cannot process fat, or their liver has issues breaking down protein constituents or amino acid derivatives. The best approach is probably to make sure your diet does not affect your health by coupling with an annual medical checkup.

I am actually more interested in the recipes for a protein based meal. What you guys take along? I cannot include eggs and beans in my diet because of the high cholesterol. I try tuna or mussles…still oil, but the balance of hdl/ldl is better…any suggestions?

Hello there Gerda

You make a few very interesting points that I would love to know more about.

Maybe we should chat privately not to spam up the thread?

My go-to response is everything as natural as possible and that has made me live by some dietary choices different from most.

Of course I don’t get it right 24/7 maar nou ja…:wink: