4-day, 3-nt hut hike near Cape Town?

Hello all–

This site is a great resource!

My wife and I are visiting Cape Town in March and wondering if the perfect hike for us exists: 4 days, 3nts, with huts and within a couple hours’ drive of Cape Town. I’m an experienced hiker but my wife hates when I drag her on long hard slogs, so something around a 5-7/10 on scale of difficulty would be great.

I had high hopes for the Hottentots-Holland Reserve, but with the routes between huts being closed it’s not ideal.

Anyone have a favorite in the area?

Thanks!

You might be able to put something together in the Groot Winterhoek wilderness; not a classic “hutted” hike but there are one or two huts you can book and you can put your own route together. Also, Die Hel is something to experience…

1 Like

Another option is to do a circular hike in the Cederberg going from Algeria to Driehoek; Sanddrif (via Wolfberg cracks) and Sneeuberg Hut; then back to Algeria. You can book chalets at Driehoek and Sanddrif and then hope Sneeuberg hut is open.

It’s a bit of a drive, but the Leopard Trail in Baviaanskloof is an amazing 4-day hike: Leopard Trail - Baviaanskloof - Hiking South Africa

1 Like

Thanks for the responses!

The Leopard Trail looks quite nice, but perhaps a bit out of my wife’s abilities. I’m looking closely at a circuit within Cederberg now.

1 Like

If your wife doesnt like strenous activity then I would suggest the perlemoen trail. It is a guided hike along the coastal beaches around Gansbaai with an ecologist. He takes you to all the caves etc and provides valuable info on marine fauna and flora. The trail can be up or down scaled for accommodation at selfcatering chalets or 4star bnb. Worth a look.

Another possibility is The Whale Trail at De Hoop Nature Reserve near Bredasdorp. It is a 5 day, 4 night hike, though, but beautiful and not strenuous at all. You can carry your own packs, or even do it slack packing if you prefer.

2 Likes

I can very highly recommend the Tsitsikamma Trail in Natures Valley. Its a 5 night hike, but its possible to do a shorter version by making use of the escape routes. For instance, you can go Natures Valley - Kalander Hut - Bloukrans Hut - Keurbos Hut - Lottering Forestry Station. This would be 4 day / 3 night and approx 40km. One would then have to take a shuttle back from Lottering to Natures Valley

1 Like

Otter trail?