Advice and suggestions for a newbie-ish

Hi everyone, I started developing a love for hiking at few years ago, and am starting a bit of a bucket list. I’d really love to do the whale trail once I’m able to gather the minimum size group.
*Do you have any tips on booking the Whale trail? *Would also love suggestions to add to my list… The toughest hike I’ve done so far is Arangieskop but am keen to challenge myself beyond a 2 day.

The only way to book the Whale Trail is to call CapeNature on 087 087 8250.

1 Like

If you could do Arangieskop you can do most hikes. Assuming you are in the Western Cape(?), bucket-list multi-day hikes within driving distance:
Otter trail (of course! - 5 day)
Harkerville Coastal trail (2 day)
Outeniqua Trail (5-day version)
Swellendam Trail (5-day)
Cederberg (wilderness)
Leopard trail (4-day)
You can find route descriptions for all these in the Trails section.

2 Likes

Adding to the above list, I am a major fan of the Tsitsikamma Trail. Lots of strong flowing rivers, pools, and many diverse pockets of indigenous forest. There are huts with fireplaces and braai grids etc., lots of water, and you can order food resupply which helps a lot with pack weight. The whole trail is 5 nights, but could also be done in 4 nights (the first day’s walk is very short). You could even piece together a shorter version by making use of an escape route. I would say this is a good option for a first multi day hike.

One potential downside to take note of, is that the huts are shared with other hikers (I think they sleep around 24). So your group will rarely be the only one on the trail. But there is enough space in and around the huts, so it shouldn’t put you off.

Here’s another random list of hikes from my personal notebook:
Amatola trail (Eastern Cape)
Fish River Canyon (Namibia)
Namib Naukluft (Namibia)
Khomas Hochland (Namibia)
Giants Cup (Drakensberg)
Diamond coast hiking trail (West Coast)
Swart tobie trail (West Coast)
Alexandria hiking trail (Addo)
Diaz trail (Port alfred)
Fanie Botha trail (Mpumalanga)
Num num trail (Mpumalanga)
Oorlogskloof trail (Namaqualand)
Magoebaskloof (Limpopo)

Another great idea is to buy the book “Weekend trails in the Western Cape” by Mike Lundy. Its a great book to have on the shelf (mine is dog-eared and full of notes).

Enjoy!

5 Likes

The Num num trail (Mpumalanga), has been revamped and renamed. It is now called the High 5.

2 Likes

and then there’s the Gecko Trail near Montagu or for the ultimate challenge: Rim of Africa :wink:

2 Likes