I don’t have any experience with Tour Operators in the Berg but can recommend some routes.
Note that the entire Cathedral Area is closed for hikers until further notice.
- Judges Pass – Leslies Pass (4Days, 3Nights)
- Night 1 – Sleep near Centenary Hut or in the Hut (was just in bad shape when I went past there last year)
- Night 2 – Sleep Injasuthi Upper Cave after ascending Judges Pass; Tag Mafadi (Highest Point in SA)
- Night 3 – Sleep at the bottom of Leslies pass
- Bannermans – Langalibalele (4Days , 3Nights) (Easy Hike)
- Night 1 – Sleep Bannermans Hut
- Night 2 – Ascend Bannermans pass and sleep on the escarpment
- Night 3 – Descend Langalibalele and sleep in the small berg
- Mnweni – Rockeries Loop (4Days, 3 Nights) (Best Views)
- Night 1 – Sleep Chi-Chi Bush Camp
- Night 2 – Ascend Mnweni Pass and sleep Ledgers or Mponjwane Cave
- Night 3 – Descend Rockeries pass and sleep in the small berg.
Numerous routes link up caves, the most popular will be the Injasuthi Area (Marble Baths, Grindstone etc).
September is already a lot warmer and winter sleeping gear should typically not be needed. Just check the weather before you go.
Other than the routes mentioned, there are numerous other options, I would advise sticking to more popular routes if you are unfamiliar with the berg.
Check out Vertical-Endeavour for some more thorough information on these routes, all the GPX information for the routes are also available.