Anybody else who does wheelie backpacking?

BACKGROUND
Life is so blooming demoralising… Just when you think you’re the new Einstein… BOOM !

A while back, I got the bee in my bonnet to go hiking again after a 30+ something- year- hiatus…

But realising that mentally I’m still 18, but physically… Well that’s an entirely different kettle of piranhas now I’m 3 X + that…

And lugging a backpack well… That’s… gonna really suck… These creaky old bones gonna seize up big time…

So I “cooked up” the idea of carting a backpack rather than “toting” IE carrying the backpack…

I zoomed in on a golf-push-cart as a cart and after a few different carts / false starts & trials I came up with my current configuration, which meets all my “design” parameters including I can fold the cart down and put the whole conflaburation on my back & walk the difficult bits…

BRILLIANT !
There’s me, for the longest time believing I’ve done an exceptional job of inventing something entirely new…

HA… Think again…

Just found out, there is an entire community of “wheelie-backpackers”, with umpteen different designs that can be purchased… Including , a DIY jobbie using exactly the same cart as the one I settled on…

Bwawawaaaawhaa

There goes my entire world… I’m nowhere near the “first” … Fact is I’m waaay at the back of the queue…

Oh well… S’pose I just got to put me shoes on and carry on…

Anyhow, Is there anybody else that uses a cart or wheelie - pack to hike ? It would be very interesting if there was a group that actually does this here in SA…

MY CART

MY cart set for carting - I’ve since changed from the Backpacker Boulder to the Elephant

GBHB configured for carting no cover bag 01

My cart set up to carry with the cart in situ
The cart itself, looks heavy & bulky, but is actually very light & for the benifit, for me, well worth the weight. It folds down to approximately the same width & height as the backpack, so it just sticks out towards the back…

My backpack without the cart

Some of the other types of carts & wheelie packs that are available pictures from Google

Idea cart 4

3 Likes

This is interesting, but I’d imagine that route selection is paramount. Let me sign out before I get tempted to join you :grin: