Backpack Choice Dilemma

Agreed with the above, and for this reason it might be better to buy a brand that is locally serviced.

Both Osprey and Gregory have a lifetime guarantee and they will patch holes (and fix other problems) as and when they occur. Because, holes will appear.

If the ultralight pack does not get a hole on the first real trip, is it even an ultralight pack?

1 Like

Argggghhhhh
Id settled on the granite gear, came to “buy-it-now” and the medium is out of stock! darn.

The dilemma - what to get now.

Durability is another priority - Yes I regularly carry over 20kgs (unfortunately) and occasionally, as a father, over those 27kgs…
I do need to understand the denier materials for durability aspect. the Gregory uses 100 and 210d… which some feel is great whilst also being unsuitable on other packs?

At the moment I slowly am buying into lighter gear, its just a frustratingly slow process, and Yep I get the Rucksack weight:durability thing. and that I should loose 5kg personally. Cant wait for new-to-me tent to arrive. that’ll be interesting

Africa holds specific challenges for gear that international branding doesn’t cater to, and generally my gear needs to last a long time if Im going to buy it.
I genuinely didn’t like the picnic table pattern of the Granite gear but its not a priority, irritating, but can be spray painted over…

Osprey:
Heavier but tried and tested, I’ve not heard a squeaking bag yet, its also very ugly!.
Ive tried one with a 20L jerrycan of water in - was great. Im just not sold on the weight : Price where are you getting the benefit of ÂŁ100 more than the Gregory?

My Deuter is in need of TLC or shooting and that Warranty thing takes a lot of time to process, which isn’t much use for a regular hiker in SA and negates the attractiveness of the Osprey Warranty which needs to be sent off to Europe.

So to underline things the Warranty is of lesser importance, and fanny adams use when youre on a trail, and nothing beats the First Ascent Warranty that Ive experienced first hand.

Gregory
Apparently the Gregory is rated to 22.7kg, not the 18 mentioned above - a bit pointless in a 60l bag Like the Granite Gear Crown 2 rating it to 18!.

There is also the 68L & 68L Paragon for a few days more work which I’m researching now. (yes 2 x 68L litre bags apparently!

Dear lord this is so frustrating!

@scubafrique
Have you looked at Vaude packs?
Mountain Mail Order, City Rock.

What you mean sent to EU, I had my osprey replaced in Cape Town in 10days, 2019. Has something changed?

very :grimacing:

Or Mammut, also at MMO/CRock.

Mammut make stellar mountian gear, and though the Vaudes are not ‘lightweight’ they’re tough and well priced and eco so you’ll go to heaven, maybe…

Carl after the initial sales window (I think 30 days) their lifetime warranty needs to be taken up in Europe.

Im about to ask a question regarding these: so hang in there for a minute or two!

Hi Graham.
If your purchased your Deuter at CUM, then take it in to your nearest store for repair/TLC.
Kind regards,
Ian

Hi Ian

Mines rather old… I brought it when Deuter had a lifetime warranty - this has now been proven incorrect, Discussed with CUM - they wanted to send it off to Europe, Long story short, I still have it, and its busy falling (it is old) so Ive still got it, (held together with Dental floss!) and Ive just ordered a new Rucksack
Rather than start a new thread: I was going back and forth deliberating between the Osprey Aether 65 or Gregory Stout 60?

Sadly the pack I wanted was not in stock and it won’t be by the time I need it. These are my joint 3rd place choice: I can get either at roughly the same price. (Ironically the spray slightly cheaper www.trekinn.com)

For me the Osprey is 2.2kg vs the Gregory at 1.6kg. Thats a sleeping bag difference in weight and as Id aimed to get lighter weight gear seems Gregory for the win!

But Ive no experience with the Gregory, but do with the Osprey (As mentioned above the Warranty has little meaning to me.)

I know the Osprey to be capable of carrying the silly loads I sometimes carry so Im gone that direction and it has a fantastic reputation, plus at this price I can sell it on after the hike and recoup my costs when my 1st choice bag becomes available.

I was going to ask is there any reason not to get the Osprey? but just paid for it!

1 Like

@TrailHunter you’re going to love this…
Gregory Stout for sale at Bergfreunde, translated from Dutch to English…

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 4.08.28 PM

2 Likes

@Carl :rofl: Beste! Shouldn’t it be “ondeugend” :laughing: I have to say that is a good looking colour palette.

1 Like

Darth Stout…(with a mandarin trim)

1 Like

Flip…been reading this thread for the first time…I have had an Atmos for ages now…and the squeaky noises while walking have been driving me insane over time. I’ve
been meaning to take it back and complain…but your comment has tipped me over the edge. Any idea if Osprey is doing anything about this apart from discontinuing the system?

Glad to be of service :sweat_smile:

No idea @mikewra.
I owned an Osprey pack, just sold. But when it became faulty I took it to the retailer, Drifters, and asked for resolution. Pack replaced by Adventure Inc (Osprey importer for SA) within a month. So the sooner you act the better. Sadly this is not the USofA where you can take something back 6 months later and say “Like duh it sucks” and get a new one.

My advice would be to reach out to Adv. Inc, speak to Chris Kimmerling, see if you can come to a satisfactory conclusion. Otherwise just sell it here or on VE. Thing with a squeeky pack it’s like having an opinionated rat on your shoulder. Someone I hike with has had similar issues albeit with a diff brand, Gregory. Also like swishy clothing…can really interfere with the outdoor experience.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks Carl…It’s been a few years so I don’t expect resolution but I might try my luck anyway.Selling is quite a good idea…as it seems less extreme than shooting myself :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like