Camp shoes

What do you guys wear as camp shoes?
Any preferences?
@ruth suggested Crocs as they protect your toes, are super light and can be used for river crossings.

Anybody with other suggestions out there?

1 Like

I could recommend Salomon Tecamphibians. Hard to find nowadays though…got ours from Cape Union.

1 Like

I agree on crocs. I did the otter trail a few years back and only realised once I arrived that I had forgotten to pack my camp shoes (light tekkies). Shot to pick n pay in plett on got a pair of croc rip offs for R35! I was blown away at how versatile and comfy these shoes were for the price. Fast forward 2 years on the Camino I met plenty folk who were using crocs and socks as their only pair of hiking shoes… I think for the weight and versatility I am happy to chuck my crocs on the back of my pack with a carabiner.

1 Like

I am a very firm believer in crocs
I have even done 5 day treks in them
Here is a link where I go into more detail:

1 Like

Thank you @Spaniel, @Naartjie and @antonroland.
I’ll be visiting the Crocs store soon.

1 Like

I got some Croc ripoffs which are significantly lighter than the genuine article. Worth considering as Crocs tend to be a bit weighty.

1 Like

In summer, plakkies. In winter, water booties (the type you would use wading through rockpools). Cheap, light, etc. Or if you want to spend some money, Kway (and I think FA) also now makes down-filled “hut booties” which are great.

Im guessing you don’t mean Pink Veldskoen?

Un-PC Humour aside - I wouldn’t be without my five fingers toe shoes - They’re weird and a faf to put on, absolutely no thermal value at all but for that bare foot untrapped “free” feeling theres nothing better. Also Toe socks are a god send for hiking (If you can get used to them)
They also make great wet shoes, both beach and rivers, although they do trap sand inside the toe pockets they dry quickly.

There are also those thermal booties that Ive been so jealous of like these: https://www.naturehike.co.za/collections/footwear/products/thermal-outdoor-camp-shoes
(Hey look these fill both versions of “camp” shoes!)

1 Like

There are Croc ripoffs??:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::joy:

1 Like

Lol @scubafrique
Thanks!
I decided on a pair of Crocs. (pity I couldn’t find any knock-offs…)

Hey. Can I just check in and make sure about shoes. Do I need booties for the river crossings? I would love to take flops for camp but taking 3 pairs of shoes seems overkill? Please advise me on river crossing essentials.Thank you

A strop-style shoe, like Rocky’s, works the best. They can be worn around camp with socks (unlike flipflops) and are supportive enough to act as a backup in case your hiking shoes break.
https://www.rockysa.co.za/product/phoenix-hiking-sandal-aqua/

1 Like

I have a pair of these https://t-rockets.co.za/ that were custom made so they fit incredibly. I can hike in them, cross rivers, use them as camp shoes, everything! I have done some trail running in them as well so they are very versatile. I use toe socks so I can wear those if I really need to. They are heavier than my trail runners but take up almost no space.

Hi Graham :slight_smile:

As a matter of interest, I got a pair of these Naturehike camp booties, the mid ones (making sure I’m covered for winter). They are super comfy, super light and packable. The only thing I’d say to think about for anyone interest in buying, they are not really sturdy and supportive so obviously they are amazing for in and around your tent but depending on were you are camped and the terrain it might not be the best option for lets say going to fetch water or taking a stroll in the the surrounding area BUT, definitely comfy and warm. Unless you are in cleared, open and more festival/park like conditions then they would be perfect.

• They also hold ice packs really well for bruised and sprained ankles :smiley:
1 Like

Thanks. For any future hike I will invest in a strap sandal. For my upcoming Otter Hike (next week) I would like to know if a protective shoe is must for these Otter river crossings?
Thanks

1 Like

I took @Ruth s advice and invested in a pair of very ugly Crocs. (I couldn’t find any knock-offs but got them on sale - I’m saying this to make myself feel better lol)
Anyway -
They’re really, really light weight, dries out fast and do the job of covering and protecting the toes.

3 Likes

Knock off Croc sytles is the way to go! We did the Drakensberg Grand Traverse over 11 days in December, unsupported - and we carried fake croc style shoes bought from Checkers Hyper for around R100. Weight was of paramount importance - so I took a kitchen scale along and weighed the different styles in the shop, I think my pair came in around 220g for the pair. They’re soft and squishy, perfect for giving your feet a break after a long hard day in the Berg, and you can wear socks with them - and Of course they weight next to nothing. Winning.

1 Like

download

4 Likes