Cederberg (Central area and South area)

Hi, we (60 years old and retired) are visiting the central and the south area of the Cederberg for the first time beginning of March 2023). Any suggestions for feasible day hikes (max 15km). We are camping.
Thank you for all your suggestions !
Guy

Hello Guy
These are the classics accessed from Sanddrift or Driehoek campsites -
Maltese Cross from Dwarsrivier (13 km) very impressive feature,
Wolfberg cracks and Arch (15km) very impressive features - walk from Dwarsrivier farm/Sanddrift campsite
Lots Wife/Window Rocks walk, from Dwarsrivier/Sanddrift (short enough for young children and mostly flat)
Welbedacht cave (from Driehoek) - but go up to the shale band and walk along the path in either direction for beautiful views. Or continue to ascend the impressive…
Tafelberg at 1968 m (16 km) but this is only for experienced hikers with a good map/route description.
From Kromrivier there is a good walk up the river with swims along the way to Disa Pool (12 km)
Of course you should go to see the Stadsaal San rock paintings (not a hike but wandering around looking for them all is fun). Maalgat swimming for swimming is a must from Sanddrif.
I prefer to camp at Driehoek which is smaller farm and campsite than Sanddrift campsite (which is on Dwarsrivier farm) and has a gorgeous swimming area in the campsite. But the benefit of staying at Sanddrift is that you do not have to pay to do Lots Wife/Wolfberg cracks/Maalgat as they are on the farm. There are also camp sites at Krom Rivier but I looked at them in November and I was not that impressed with them. I like the farm owners at Driehoek who are very conservation minded and one deals directly with them when booking and in the office. They always have a lot of information about the wildlife in the area and support the various research groups that operate in the Cedarberg - leopard trust etc. There are some short walks on the farm that are also fun.
Its a good idea to have a Wild Card. Fill your tank before you enter the Cedarberg as there is no filling station at any of these farms.
Buy a Slingsby map of the Cedarberg - a compiliation of 4 maps that cover the whole Cedarberg. Pitch your tent facing N/NE for wind/rain if such an eventuality. Face Wolfberg if at Sanddrift or Tafelberg if at Dwarsrivier. You will have amazing sunset views on the orange Cedarberg rocks.
You will have a wonderful time.
Jenny

1 Like

Thank you so much for all the detailed information !
Guy

Just take note Sector C is closed at the moment.

1 Like

:pray::pray::pray::+1::+1::+1: we saw it on the website. Thanks for informing us.
Very appreciated!
Guy

1 Like