Day hikes in or around Cape Town the coming weekend, Anybody?

Hello all

I am down here on a course for 2 weeks and I am totally free the weekend except for diving Saturday or Sunday morning.

I was thinking about camping at Fish Hoek caravan park?

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed r.e. day hikes in the area?

Thanks!

hey anton
if you’re staying near fishoek you should explore silvermine reserve and the elephant’s eye cave. see alison westwood’s blog for a detailed description here (also clickaround on her page - lots of cool options):

1 Like

Cheers Willem, baie dankie!

Hi Anton,

Not to be a naysayer, but there are a few hotspots on our beautiful Table Mountain, where it is strongly discouraged to hike alone. So if you are on your ace, I would advise Constantia Nek. You can hike up to the dams and there are always lots of ‘traffic’. Platteklip is also a popular route. It is on the front face of TM. You travel on Tafelberg Road about 3kms from the Lower Cable Station towards Devils Peak. Hiking up “Platties” gives you a lekker workout, AND you are rewarded with some spectacular views up top. Then there is the Cape Point Nature Reserve, a bit pricey to enter if you dont have a green card, but well worth the visit.

You can also check the web for any hikes organised by clubs like Meridian, although I believe there is a small fee for non members joining on an adhoc basis.

Safe out!

Mel

1 Like