Gear Storage

Hey guys,
It’s probably a stupid question but how do you store your gear when you’re not out hiking?

This is what I do, it is by no means the right way or only way to store gear. It also depends on the hiker, how often its used etc. Someone who hikes once every 7 months will store differently to someone whose hiking every 2nd weekend.I’d say I use my full set of gear (overnight in the berg) once every 3rd/4th month. But a lot of day hikes on weekends…

Sleeping bag should be stored out of its compression bag. If you have space to hang it up that first prize, otherwise store it loosely in a big laundry bag at the top of a cupboard.
Boots should not be put aside for long periods of time, try and wear them every now and then even around the house or to a braai etc.
Back pack is stored in a duffel bag or spare cupboard when not in use. If it’s dirty give it a clean with a damp cloth but make sure its dry before storage.
Clothes , some get used weekly (day hikes) some don’t, thermals top/bottom, thick socks and warm clothes get used now in winter…Otherwise I try keep hiking clothes in another bag, as much as I enjoy wearing them I want them to last…Rain jacket and pants are hung on a coat hanger in cupboard
Stove is in the kitchen (load shedding), pot/cutlery etc is in a big black box with gaiters/trowl/poncho/gloves/beanie/hat/first aid/ and other miscellaneous gear.
Tent stored in its bag but it is vital to have it bone dry before putting into storage. Always good to open i up a day or two before you intend to use it again. Inspection etc.
Self inflating mattresss should be stored unfolded under your bed or standing in a cupboard.

And that’s all I can think of now, in an hour I’ll remember something else…
I guess everyone has their own tried and tested ways of storing based on frequency of use etc. Follow what the equipment advises in order to get a longer life out of it.
All the best

3 Likes

Depends on the kit. Usually clear instructions come with items.
Down should be out of stuff sacks, kept uncompressed. Ditto for just about any sleeping bag in fact, this so as to increase the lifespan of insulation’s loft. Tents must be bone dry before storage, lest you get mildew and rot. Not good. Sleeping pads, specifically the self inflating versions ought be kept rolled out. Thermarest, for example, stipulate this. Gas cannisters and any burner disassembled to avoid leakage. And, of course, everything should be clean and dry. I keep my bits and bobs in an Addis crate, my sleeping pad unrolled, valve open and wrapped in an old sheet stored flat (to avoid dust build-up and goggas finding joy), sleeping bags hang in tall cupboard, same for backpack. It’s worth checking up on yer kit from time to time, especially after extended periods of rain to see whether any mildew has formed and if so take corrective measures. Where I live ants are a really big problem so I have to make regular inspections anyway. Stuff’s expensive. Most good equipment will, as I suggested, give clear concise, if not pedantic, instructions. Hope that helps, may have forgotten a few but those are the biggies. Time for oats!!

2 Likes

Haha, looks like drew at the same time there…

Largely all been covered here. Back of a deep cupboard for me with sleeping bags and air mattresses hung.

Would say one of the big ones to watch for here is heat and humidity. Especially if stuff is being stored in a garage or something like that. If you know it is going to be an issue try pick up a passive dehumidifier to stick in with it. It is mostly an issue for things like tents and pads, which are likely to experience hydrolysis as they age. So the longer you can keep them from it the better, as it is not a reversible thing.

I find a stack of shoe boxes to be useful. Amazing how many little things you end up with, and how long it can take to get sorted for a hike. Storing things in smaller well labeled boxes by uses means I spend less time digging through giant plastic tubs than I used to :sweat_smile: Think my system is; cooking, water, repair, medical, containers and misc.

Find having my day pack and anything I want setup as a separate kit is nice. Mean’s I don’t have to hunt through anything before short hikes.

1 Like

Thank you @Naartjie.
A really thorough reply and helped me greatly.

@Carl , @Jaxz
Thank you, I’ll definitely do as suggested!

Hey DisDapperMuis,

I had these exact same questions as I recently got into hiking myself, found First Ascent’s cleaning and storage guides rather informative. I was specifically worried about cleaning my gear correctly in addition to storing it. I hope the below link helps:

1 Like

@Dene_CPT thank you! I do appreciate the trouble… :blush: Happy hiking!!

1 Like