Hike Clubs/Guides/Maps

Hey everyone!

It seems that people often ask about clubs/guides etc., especially the odd tourist. Due to the extensive vetting of THETA, guides are extremely competent and skilled, but also hard to come by. I think it is worth starting a string to gather some information on where to look for what. I personally, would not mind people sharing a bit more regarding their gps tracking data or unconventional map sources. Please add on if I have missed anything, this list is a shortlist but by no means complete. I would also appreciate if someone could do a similar section on the rest of the provinces.

Hiking/Mountain guides:
Table Mountain hikes
-Mother City Hikers
-Wild Things Outdoor
-High Adventure
Table Mountain/Franschoek/Somerset West
-Ridgeway Ramblers
Table Mountain/Cape Point/Cederberg/Drakensberg
-Venture Forth
Garden Route
-The Garden route has a variety of day/multi-day hikes. To check which trails are guided please see Garden Route Meander List

Note: As a local I have never made use of guides and would make sure that my guide has THETA accreditation prior to booking. Some specific trails such as the Perlemoen trail occur at predefined dates due to the limit of guides.

Hiking Clubs:
-Mountain Club of South Africa (MCSA)- Free participation in scheduled events (Calendar online)

1. Cape Town
  2. Stellenbosch

-Cape Union Hiking Club- R20pp for non-members participating in scheduled events (Calendar online)

-Meridian Hiking Club- Open to non-members with online application and calendar.

Maps:
*There is already a thread on gps maps and the likes so I am listing a few here as well:

1. Slingsby Maps-Hard copy & digital contour maps with activities/accommodation etc.
  2. Avenza Maps- Google Play/iStore app for easy access to offline/online maps.
  3. All Cape Nature/ SANParks Nature reserves have online hiking trail pdf’s
  4. Table Mountain Classics- Guide book of hikes
  5. Hiking Project- For gps tracks
  6. Mountain Meanders- for additional pdf’s of trails.

*Note: I have found that Willie Olivier comprehensive collection of Hiking trails of Southern Africa is helpful in identifying trails in the vicinity, but lacks in trail knowledge i.e. any maps or indications on how to get to and from the site.

Anything to add?

1 Like

Most of the better GPS brands nowadays (Suunto, Garmin, Polar etc) have got great websites where you can easily find the routes of people who have done a hike previously and then you can just download the file to your watch and follow the route from there. I have done numerous solo trips just doing this as well as hikes in the Drakensberg, Amatola, Witels etc. I find that the easiest way to explore.

1 Like

Hi, I’m a registered guide in the KZN Drakensberg, look for Berg Adventures

The Forge app recently launched. Currently only has trails for Cape Town but their library will expand.

1 Like