Hiking in Joburg (& surrounds)

Hi fellow hikers

I recently moved to Jozi from Cape Town, and am battling to find cool spots to hike. I’m keen to seek out day hikes, as well as overnight / multi-day trails. Anyone got any suggestions?

@WillemB & @Herman care to share some tips on Jozi hiking?

Hennops hiking trail is not bad for a morning hike. http://www.hennops.co.za/hiking.html

There are lots of places in the Magalies, but it’s not really official hiking trails. Best way to get access is to join the MCSA or the Hiking club (not sure what their official name is).

For nice multi-day hikes I think the best is to go to the Drakensberg or the escarpment in Mpumalanga.

2 Likes

HI Shirley

The hikingsouthafrica.co.za directory will soon list a lot of options. Of the top of my head:

Day / weekends:
As Herman mentioned, Magaliesberg is amazingly beautiful.
The Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve has some very good day & multi-day options.
Rietvlei dam Nature reserve (near Centurion)
Braamfontein spruit
Groenkloof Nature reserve (Pretoria)
Sugarbush Trail

Multi-day hikes:
Heading off towards Sabie you have the Fanie Botha trail
The Magoebaskloof trail near Tzaneen
Drakensberg (amazing)

2 Likes

Groenkloof went to hell, so rather stay away.

My wife and I did the Magoebas trail the other day, it’s really good. On the last night we had a spectacular firefly show.

1 Like

Guys, thanks, this is great.

We’ll definitely get going with experimenting with some of these trails

Much appreciated!

@Herman when was this re Groenkloof? I’ve been a number of times in the last couple of years and always found it to be great.

Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve, south of the city, is really worth going to, particularly in summer in all its greenery. There are eight trails to try and even a few plains game you could spot. I’ve run into springbok, black wildebeest, plains zebra and blesbok before.
Entrance is free and the reserve is open from sunrise to sunset. There is also a picnic site at the Main (South) Entrance.

Map here: http://www.footprint.co.za/A3%20map%2013-01-09.jpg or copies available at reserve entrance.

1 Like

There is the Johannesburg hiking club that hikes every Sunday

1 Like

there Are a number of day trails in the vredefort dome area between potch and Parys… we hike there quite often

Hi Wooshness, I haven’t been there in the last 3 years. There was a lot of trouble with safety. People getting mugged. I haven’t been mugged myself, but prefer to keep it that way. There was also issues with management. From what you say, it seems like the problems have been sorted, which would be great news.

I’m sure there were and maybe still are issues with muggings but I think that is a reality in most of the country and you are as if not more likely to get mugged on Table Mountain or Lions Head in Cape Town. It seems the Klipriviersberg Association (private body) seems to be doing some good work there and I have personally seen City Parks staff repairing boardwalks and paths.
Without a doubt my favourite place in Joburg to go hiking.

1 Like

Might be a bit late but the closest would probably be Hennops or Phaladingwe. There are a few about an hour and a half out - Kranskloof, Eagles Cove, Rustig, Shelter Rock, Kgaswane Mountain Reserve and Mountain Sanctuary Park. Otherwise there are plenty of kloofs, waterfalls and other spots in the Magaliesburg if you get permits from either the Jo’burg or Magalies sections of the MCSA or Johannesburg Hiking Club (try Tonquani Kloof, Castle Gorge or the Dome Pools).

For overnights/multiday try Rustig or Kgaswane Mountain Reserve and a bit further out there’s Elangeni, Rhenosterpoort, Kaapschehoop, or the Num-Num trail. Further out and you’re hitting places like Magoebaskloof, Sabie, Goldengate and the Drakensberg/Lesotho. All depends how far you want to go.

2 Likes

Hi. I’m new to the community and would appreciate any help. Hope I am in the correct place.
I am trying to help a teacher friend find a venue with good 3 day hikes for a large group of high school kids (about 60) anywhere closer to Gauteng than the Drakensberg. Maybe Waterberg. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.