Hiking tents: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Saw some great ones at Decathlon! It’s not online but they had the Trek 900 on the floor.

Factories are not fully staffed.
The whole supply line I suspect had been hampered by covid restrictions.

I was having an email conversation with Vango and they took on average a week to respond as compared to same/next day of before. C19 restrictions were to blame according to small print on emails…

But to answer your question it’s something I would consider provided the tent is still waterproof. No holes in the floor and a fly that’s still seam taped or otherwise and no delamination. Best if you can actually inspect it. The good thing about a tent is it’s not a ‘close to the person’ item like a sleeping bag or even a very used pack.

I’ve been looking at/for one myself.

I’ve ordered a Lanshan 2 (non pro) for 'n GT attempt end of September. The thing I’m worried most about is the wind. Wish me luck.

1 Like

It survived 30 days on the Scottish National Trail, so I think you’ll be good :wink: :+1:

Looking forward to hearing your personal feedback. I plan on buying one in the near future.

Enjoy the traverse!

4 Likes

How many tents do you have now Arno? C’mon, be honest…

1 Like

The search for the perfect tent is a noble quest that should not be judged on the grounds of something as carnal as money… Let’s just say I need to do a garage sale soon :joy:

3 Likes

Sounds like Hilleberg noises.

1 Like

Like they say…
Gear is a journey… Not a destination! :joy: :circus_tent:

1 Like

No quest is THAT noble! :rofl:

1 Like

This was posted.

2 Likes

Someone I know’s going to the EU soon, so I’ve been camping out at Bergfreunde for a bit, a little bit, just here and there…

Check this tent out, it has a vestibule inside the vestibule and comes in this Tom Waits kaleidoscope circus scene :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Looks very sturdy.

Forgive me Arno - last time! (I hope :crazy_face:). Trying to decide between the cloud up 2 or spider 1/spider 2. My thoughts causing indecisiveness:

1. Obviously as a small guy I’m very conscious about weight. The 2 person versions are ‘only’ 200grams more though than the 1 person counterpart (although 1.6kgs just sounds so much less than 1.8). Only reason I would want the 2p version though is to be able to put my backpack inside (mostly cos I’m weary of dew & mice chewing through since we had a few of those at FRC-not sure if there’s much of that elsewhere or whether there are other cons of leaving backpack in vestibule but seems safer :man_shrugging:t2:). Cos other than that I don’t need much space - thought the MSR solo had sufficient for me and I think overall the NH tents have a larger area (so is the 200g even worth it);

2. I love the side door entry. Not even sure why lol but it seems easier to get in/out and provide a better vista view. And with that in mind the 2 side doors of the spider 2 couldn’t hurt on a nice sunny day. Do you have any preference?

3. My biggest concern of all though is without a doubt the full mesh of the spiders. I run cold always (nevermind sleeping cold) so the full mesh scares the daylights outta me lol. I absolutely froze on traverse 1 in that MSR hubba 1 (in fairness I did not have my sub zero sleeping bag nor my thermarest (Rim came outta nowhere and I had already lent my kit to a friend- only used a thin blue roll mat and a 6degree bag. But I slept in every item of clothing I brought-my thermals, fleece pants, hiking pants, fleece top, thin fleece jacket, 850fp down jacket and my rain jacket with beanie and gloves :rofl::rofl:). So with the cloud up 2 and it’s half mesh/half fabric and only 1 front door vestibule, im thinking this will be a much warmer tent (and potentially even holdup better in worse weather/could act closer to a 4 season tent than the spiders? So I’m thinking this is a wiser choice even though I like the spiders side/multiple doors better. Of course the converse is it may not be as ‘airy’ as the spiders (so could be stuffier) and could therefore also lead to worse condensation? So I’m not sure which is the lesser of evils (being too hot or too cold) but personally I’m more scared of cold. I know you told me tho that you slept in -2 and were ok so I might be overreacting to that last experience.

Otherwise I’m not aware of any design differences between the 2 (although I think I read that the fly on cloudup is harder to line up but it may have more guy line attachments). I’ve been specifically looking at the 20D/4000mm options as those seem like the perfect balance between durability and weight (as opposed to the 10D cloud up). Pls help :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

Being too hot is the lesser of two weevils.

I don’t know these tents, at all, but reading through your post I’d recommend you take care of you being on the cooler side of the metabolism scale. It’s easy to cool down once hot. But being cold will sap your strength, all…night…long. Ultimately this leads to misery - carrying more food, more clothing and more whisky.

If you intend on sharing with another person two doors are very helpful.
And storm/long term use durability is a priority too.

Perhaps this doesn’t help, but I’d aim at what will protect me the most, for the longest, from the worst…and suck up the 200gm.

1 Like

Buy a Dan Durston XMid 2 Solid.

Hey Brendon, no worries at all :wink:

I guided on Rim of Africa for three years using the Spider 1 with no issues, even in very high winds.

I would imagine that the Cloud Up 2 is warmer, having less mesh, and the extra internal space allows you to keep your pack inside, which makes up for the smaller vestibule. It is most likely also a bit more liveable if you need to spend more time in your tent. The small weight difference won’t make much of a difference.

You won’t regret either. In the end, the excellent price of the Spider sold it for me, but performance wise I think they’re near identical.

Spider = smaller interior, bigger vestibule, side entrance, more breezy, colder, cheaper, slightly lighter.
Cloud Up 2 = bigger interior, smaller vestibule, front entrance, less breezy, warmer, more expensive, slightly heavier.

Unfortunately there’s no clear winner, so you’ll just have to make a decision…

2 Likes

For what it’s worth; I’ve personally seen three of the Mongar/ msr hubba style tents (with the single pole across the length of the tent with a wishbone at either end and an unsupported s ok reader bar at the top) have breaks on their main poles.

If you do end up getting this style of tent you need to be extra cautious with it and don’t scrimp on the tent pegs which help with the rigidity.

I’ve always thought the Mongar 2 was brilliant value for money and a very roomy tent for 2 people much lighter than my First Ascent Luna ii but I’m happy that for ultralight hiking I brought the Naturehike Spire before it was discontinued.(more space inside the zipped area than the Lanshan 1

1 Like

Hey Wandelaar

I’d like to hear your longer term thoughts - I yo-yo’d between this and the Nature Hike Spire but ended up getting the NHSpire because it has an extra area in the inside where my pack can go.
Only spent one night in the Lanshan and generally I liked the Lanshan materials and weight more but in the end I the extra space won me over.

I’ve not really had much chance to test out the Lanshan 2 apart from the GT I did in it a while back. You can read that write-up if you haven’t yet.