Hiking tents: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Links youve got to post links!

Seems like you’ve found it anyway :wink:

Hi guys and gals,

So im in the market for my first hiking tent, ive been keen for a while but my daughter has a Grade 9 Great Adventure next term where theyll be hiking and camping out for 7 nights around Spioenkop Dam in KZN in August. Most the girls are paired up but shes opted to be Miss Independent and go it alone. So im gearing her up and then intend to utilise same gear for the 2 of us to do some hikes around Stellenbosch where i live…

I recently bought the Kway Expedition Series Pioneer 75+10 pack, which im really happy with, and we have good, light sleeping bags and foam rolls already, so the last and possibly most important piece of the puzzle is the tent. I want a decent 2 man tent that we cannuse together but would be fine for her to carry and set up alone. Something that is gonna last and handle most weather conditions. Weight is obviously a factor but she is a fit, strong girl (a mountain bike racer) and quite tall for 15 (1.76m).

These are the options ive been considering:

Kway Scorpion
2 man, 2.1kg, R2200.
There is almost no info on this as its quite new, seemingly an updated version of the Solitude.
Packs up pretty compact, light, well priced, and 2500mm water column. How sturdy?

Naturehike Pseries 2
R1600 2.1kg 3000mm.
Unsure, havent heard much, seems incredibly well priced, how sturdy?

First Ascent Lunar 2
R2400 2.6kg 1500mm???
Seen some great reviews, pretty solid bit heavier. Waterhead seems low but the reviews suggest otherwise.

First Ascent Helio 2
R2999 2.2kg ??
Pricier, reviews say awkward space, not as liveable for 2. Sturdy?

Any first hand experience and recommendations here?

The Star Light 2 from first ascent has been solid, and reasonably light., a nice starting point. The single main entrance might be a little bit of a hassle when sharing, which the Lunar 2 helps with, but I have no experience with that one.

It is a bit pricier than those listed but I would give the Naturhike Mongar a look. They make good tents, the local supplier is solid to deal with. The Mongar is a good balance of weight to size and features. It is on many levels a copy of a MSR Hubba Hubba 2 tent, which have very good reputations. Strikes me as one of the better deals available here.

Good luck finding a tent that works for you and enjoy the hiking!

1 Like

184 comments here…

So just adding an additional consideration :- Condensation there three elements that’s frustrating
1 tents that form condensation and drip from the top - these are a no no in my book

2 Tents where the outer touches the inner making the inner wet and the condensation pools inside the tent - a very common factor in single wall tents.

3 Tents that are so light they’re short or/and you’re so tall (or the ground is uneven and you slide down the tent) where you’re foot box or head touches the inner and the outer getting your sleeping bag wet.

If you scrutinise these pics there’s a range of top end tents on this walk and they all had condensation issues in the Kruger sleeping in the cold river beds (4.9C one morning but it’s colder this week)

I love my triangular tent but it does have its faults the shallow angle of the pitch is the issue - brushing your head and ties against the edges sitting up in the mornings.- and the vents are directional

I’m on the look out for a tent with an angled roof and steep head and foot ends

2 Likes

Hi,
The Kway Scorpion is great, and I was going to buy it, BUT…
There was an issue with it, that I picked up, and I advised CUM.
They have removed all stock from the stores now, and will replace the stock once the factory has sorted out the issue.
So, don’t think that you’ll get it in time for this trip.

1 Like

Thanks guys.
So i ended up going for the First Ascent Lunar. I liked the size, duel entrance, and extra pole intersection relative to the Kway Scorpion.
I havent used it yet, just a quick set up indoors, but my daughter will be using it at the end of the month for 7 days of hiking around Spioenkop Dam for a Grade 9 school trip, sonif it withstands the rigors of a teenager it will surely survive the mountains.

1 Like

I love my FA Lunar at 2.4 kg it’s quite heavy considering the proliferation of ultralight tents out there but it is awesome and comparitively very durable.
Especially suited if there’s two of you to split the weight; flysheet and one pole in one pack and inner pegs and poles in the other and you can use the vestibules for packs / cooking, sticks or hiking poles make a good support for the fly sheet doors to become an open covered (shade spot). Here’s a herd of like minded Tents with my FA lunar

The clip on flysheet means you only need 4 tent pegs if it’s not going to be windy - I brought the coughlans extra long (9”) aluminium ones to help on soft Sandy ground and keep 4 as the minimum with the other smaller FA stakes for windy conditions at the ends of the tent

If you know this particular Cederberg spot you’ll know the wind gets funneled and howls through there but the tent stood up perfectly fine

Anybody got experience with using the Durston Xmid solid?

Not a solid but I have a regular which is great. Just replace the stakes with something better. The included ones are pretty crap. Just keep them for storm pitching should you have the need to pin the sides down.

1 Like

Do you find it holds up in SA conditions? And how is it pitching on uneven ground? Seriously considering bringing one in from US… Also - do you find the mesh inner suitable? Im worried about the cold/wind on top of mountains hence Im thinking of the solid

Uneven terrain does make it harder. We live in Africa, hence my choice of the mesh over the solid. I will however be buying a solid inner when they become available next year as a separate add-on. Will be useful, should I be going somewhere very cold and or windy.

2 Likes

Just some proper field testing feedback on the FA Helio…

Had my First Ascent Helio obliterated in some of the strongest winds I have seen in the berg.

We were camped out near Makhaza Ampi (Giants Castle) for a Ice climbing trip a couple weeks back. Had wind speeds peaking at about (100 km/h) with gusts exceeding that. The poles failed at the center joints, before I managed to drop the poles. The poles shot through the fly and the wind ripped it to shreds.

The Helio was never designed/intended for these wind speeds. However, I have never been pleased with the helios performance in wind. It’s sturdier when you can pitch it into the prevailing wind direction (like most tents). However if the wind is swirling (like it tends to do in the berg), the tent does not perform well. Due to the single pole on top, the tent tends to bend through when being side-swiped by wind. I have also noted that the wind gets in between the fly and inner, when being side-swiped. This tends to push the inner over, independently of the fly.

Worth noting a Vango and FA Peak also failed. The Helio faired the worst of the lot.

Will definitely be moving away from the “single pole on top” design and opt for the tried and tested Geodesic (Poles Crossing on Top) such as the BD Biblers.

Hi hikers! I have an opportunity to buy a second hand First ascent peak, 3 person tent. It has only been used once, but is 6 years old. It looks good in the few pics I’ve seen. Unfortunately its in cape town, and I am in kzn, so can’t really get a look at it. It is a really good price. I’m wondering what folk here think?

It’s relatively quite heavy but the FA lunar is pretty awesome in buffeting winds it had 100kmh winds but it’s stood up to west coast gale force and that sneaky tunneling wind at Cederberg oasis which blew over a Trailer with an RTT on it next to us. Definitely a very unique noise to hear and a very unhappy couple inside

1 Like

Good morning Hikers, New to the forum, been helping me get back into the Drakensberg. after a long time. I actually got engaged in twins cave back in 2013. And we will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary in the berg early Jan. hence i need a decent hotel room to carry up the mountains.

My dad got us a Cadac Iso Dome back in early 2000’s this for us was a very good tent and handled a good 10 years in the Berg and countless heavy berg storm nights.

I am looking at the Hiby P4 ultralight tent, mainly to accommodate my better half and my two sons that can share a space.

I see there is a review on the 3p tent but i haven’t seen any of the 4p tent. I am 1.86m the limit of the length mentioned in the review of the 3p.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting back in the mountains after 10 years!

Why not buy 2 x 2-man tents? Far more versatile.

You are right. that’s a good suggestion. if both tents combined weighed less than the 4p. As i will be carrying the tent as my sons are still 5&7. so they will be carrying min.

Looking at NatureHike, combined will weigh less. Will just cost more. I still think 2 x 2-man is a better option. Also look at renting.

Thanks Calypso. I see that it works out less for two. maybe one now then another one later in the year.