Hiking the Fish river canyon

Last year when I hiked the Fish, the water was very low, stagnant little pools in some parts … and it was still good to drink without purification or filtering. Close to palm springs, the water is not good to drink (due to sulphur in the water from the spring) … and if there’s something dead in a stagnant pool, it will probably not be good to drink without purification or filtering, but otherwise the water is fine (unless one has a delicate stomach). Actually, the water looks and tastes like bottled water if you know where to look.

1 Like

Absolutely! I’ve had some very fine tasting water from the Fish over the years…
I think in general people are just too concerned about this. Also, with regard to the coming season, early indications are that we will see higher water levels than last year - there have been some decent showers in the area during the last few weeks already, Lowen river tributary etc. Not to mention the possibility of more on its way…

2 Likes

Agreed

Good day,
We are a group of 7 planning to hike the Fish river canyon from 27 to 31 May 2020. We could only purchase 6 permits from Wildlife Namibia. We are looking for contact details of groups we could approach or groups who will also be hiking in that time – hopeful that a member might have decided to pull out for some reason and that we will be able to buy the permit from that group.

Melissa
Our dates unfortunately not matching… hope it works out for you, just keep trying!

Hello everyone!!

We’re planning on hiking the Fish river canyon in Aug 2022. Does anyone have a exercise program for us? Will cycling be a good way to build up stamina and endurance? Or do you have any suggestions! :blush:

Thanks a lot.
Geraldine Chelius.

Hi Geraldine,

It’s a hot and scrabbly hike, but doesn’t have much elevation gain so I wouldn’t say it is a massively strenuous hike. Don’t underestimate it and you will have a great time, but I have done it with moderately fit new hikers who survived.

Cycling sounds like a good call, can’t hurt. My suggestion would be to just go hiking on the weekends. Strengthens all the right things. Some solid day hikes and some overnight trips leading up to it will be good prep and also test your shoes and gear while you train.

Look after your feet and keep an eye on the heat and it will be great :grin:

1 Like