Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Hi guys! I’ve been looking to upgrade my K-Way Zermatt 950 sleeping bag to something more substantial (and down-filled!) - the FA Ice Breaker comes to mind.

Enter the new lightweight down sleeping bags. FA and K-Way both have “mid-range” down models that cost around R2000 and are transition rated for 5°C.

They all weigh around 700g, which makes it all the more enticing since I’m gradually moving to lightweight backpacking - thus the FA Ice Breaker isn’t really an option.
I mostly backpack in the Western Cape, but with a proper bag I’m keen on seeing the snow (tented of course).

Anyone have experience with these bags/recommendations? Reviews are few and far between…

The First Ascent Down Light is a good bag, but not at all suited for cold conditions. I’ve slept in one, wearing full thermals, when the temperature inside the tent was 10°C and I was waking up every 30 minutes from shivering - you will have a VERY uncomfortable night if it drops to 5°C. Don’t skimp on your sleeping bag - shave weight on everything else, but make sure you can stay warm when the temperature drops.

First Ascent Ice Breaker is a suitable sleeping bag for most South African conditions. Also check out Naturehike’s sleeping bags. Always remember to gauge the sleeping bag on the comfort rating. Don’t plan around the “transition” or “extreme” rating - you won’t die, but you definitely won’t have a good nights sleep. Warmth and weight go hand in hand - no special magic there.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice, @Arno… Makes a lot of sense to rather save on weight in other areas of the pack. Although the Ice Breaker is in my mind mind still bit of a holy cow among SA hikers that can’t be criticised - but it IS heavy and weighs twice as much as it’s counterparts from the US.

The Zermatt 950 did serve me well too! Light and warm when kloofing in the Langeberg… for years. Then I started guiding on the Rim of Africa and a good night’s sleep became paramount in order to be sharp and alert the next day navigating the ridges of the cape fold mountains: A First Ascent Ice Breaker at 1600g and -8deg in transition, did the job perfectly! Cozy warm in sub zero temps but heavy. Years have past, weight becomes of the essence every gram counts: So this year I go in luxury at 850g and -7deg in transition, with a Mammut Sphere Down became the answer! In short, one step at the time.

4 Likes

I could also add something here. In 2016 I bought a sleeping bag from Hex Valley Down Products (http://www.hexvalleydown.com/). Their “standard” sleeping bag (plus a cheap FA dry bag) only weighs 1kg and is rated -10 extreme. They fill them with 100% pure goose down that is unrated but their guess is that it is 800+ fill power. The down is locally sourced and supports local economic development etc. Custom made according to your own specs (colour/shape/materials). I paid R3200 back then but it doesnt seem like their prices have gone up since.

It is for sure old school construction (the baffles are skimpy and the drawstrings need some smooth-talking to work), but for warmth + weight in the Western Cape it has only served me well. Ive only slept fully zipped in when the temps drop to 2-3 degrees or there is mad wind chill (caves/bivy style sleeping). I doubt you will find situations in the Western Cape where this baby will let you down.

Another plus point is the husband of the lady owning the company is Retief Jordaan, a certified mountain badass (just this year I think he won the Fish River Canyon Ultra 60+ division). Its nice to support honest locals instead of mass-produced bags that have been lying in their stuff sacks for months out the factory…

For another local option I could suggest Makoti down products, but I think they are in KZN or something. Damn this is starting to sound like a sales pitch but hey local is lekker!

4 Likes

SA made sleeping bags are so far behind international standards, it isn’t even funny.

The best lightweight sleeping bags on the market right now (if you have someone that can bring them over for you, they aren’t available locally) are as follows:

If you are willing to spend a lot of money (or sell a kidney) - then this is for you: https://www.mountainhardwear.com/ghost-whisperer-20f--7c-sleeping-bag-1765651.html?cgid=equipment-sleepingBags-5to20&dwvar_1765651_variationColor=011#start=14
900g for a -7c comfort rated water resistant sleeping bag.

Otherwise - try this synthetic bag. It is rated warmer than the FA down bag, is water resistant and folds up as small. My one of these was used for a bivy in the open on top of the Drakensberg, and there was dew - none of the water got through the outer layer and the bag dried very quickly the next morning. I wouldn’t recommend it for the top of the Drakensberg outside of summer, but it is a great bag:
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/hyperlamina-spark-35f-1c-sleeping-bag-1568251.html?dwvar_1568251_variationColor=367#q=hyperlamina&start=1

2 Likes

Thanks @Gerrienel ! I checked them out, looks awesome and especially the customisation options … although those prices are quite mooi.

1 Like

UPDATE: The search for the goldilocks down sleeping bag continues. I’ve had a decent look at the Naturehike site - seems decent from reviews, although I still have doubts about the quality.

An alternative might be the FA Explorer bag… like a stripped-down Ice Breaker, with Comfort just above 0. It certainly does look lekker to my student budget…

Hi all,

I am new to hiking and looking to get a sleeping bag for use in the Western Cape. I have been looking at the Ice Breaker as this seems to come highly recommended, but I don’t want it to be overkill when it’s warmer.

I have question - can I use something light in the summer like the FA Down Light or KWay Lite 500, and then use a FA Down Blanket inside/over the bag in winter? https://www.firstascent.co.za/compact-down-blanket

Any feedback would be most welcome. Thanks all for the inputs.

The First Ascent Ice Breaker would serve you well and will be a lot more versatile than the FA Down Light. If it’s too hot, just carry a light sheet with you or a sleeping bag liner.

1 Like

Thanks, that helps Arno. Will just go for Ice Breaker then and know I am covered for most eventualities…

2 Likes

I found that Aliexpress also sells nature hike sleeping bags for much cheaper than the SA store. Has anyone ever bought hiking gear from this online stores?

I’ve actually had pretty good experiences. If you are willing to wait it tends to arrive and the sellers have been very reasonable so far. The nightmare is always actually when it arrives here and you have to try deal with customs and the postal service. Just today managed to get a package of hiking stuff released from the post office that they had for a month behind the counter while claiming they had no idea where it was :confused:

Aegismax is the Chinese sleeping bag manufacturer that I know has a good rep.

@Jaxz thanks so much for responding. They also stock an AEGISMAX down sleeping bag for much cheaper than South Africa equivalent. I’ll order it :grin: thanks again.

1 Like

Ah fantastic, let us know how it goes and what you end up with. I know I have seen suggestions for giving them a good wash with some down soap when you receive them, gets the loft up and deals with any smells from manufacturing/shipping.

1 Like

@Jaxz will do :+1:t3:

Outdated post, but an update is relevant.

Things have absolutely moved on since 2018, most specifically with a South African Manufacturer (Hex River) entering the foray with good quality bags aimed at the Local Montaine conditions Not as light theyre more durable.

Im in the UK till April and determined to significantly reduce the weight of my gear: Tent Sleepingbag and Rucksack.

Temperature rating is a real wild card area - everyones got different requirements, in the Mountains Drakensberg and Cederberg (and others) You need a Minus 7 to 10 comfort sleeping bag.
In summer camping in low lying areas and some of the treks, Coastal trails then 13C sleeping bag is warm
Multi day Hiking trail wise its either mountainous or one of several lower level trails done during winter where temperatures get to 4˚C.
So theres the decision based on what you need most.
My thoughts are that a 0˚C sleeping bag seems a good choice together with a thermal liner and appropriate clothes you can squeeze it to Berg conditions (with a decent sleeping pad.
a Minus rated sleeping bag becomes very specific - I have synthetic one I took up Kili and in the Mara the week before it was unusable - I couldn’t even lie on it.

Below is the response I received from Cumulus in Poland.

I think this is the route Im going down sub 500g, 2˚C rated and I have a 600g Down blanket I can take if I head to the berg, together with a decent warm sleep pad.

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

Sure, we ship our products to UK. As for VAT, in the International tab, which you will find it in the upper right corner under the Earth picture,we sell our products without VAT. The price doesn’t contain taxes (VAT or others) which are not applicable for shipping outside the European Union. Please notice that after Brexit when shipping to the UK we deduct Polish VAT (23%). Prices on British website are without VAT, so they’re lower than prices when shipping inside the EU.
British customers have to pay British import duties - about 25-28% + courier handling fees. In the end prices are very similar.
Prices would be extraordinarily low, if customers outside the European Union don’t have to pay any taxes.

In case of any further questions please contact us and we will be happy to help.

Best regards,
Marta Sell

Customer Service
phone: +48 58 620 94 12
email: info@cumulus.pl

Hex looks great and its nice to support local but that website could do with some work. It doesn’t even state weights, and still no locally made quilts in SA.

2 Likes

Some more info on the Hex sleeping bags: Review: Hex Valley Down Mummy Sleeping Bag - Hiking South Africa