Looking for new WC hikes off the beaten track

We hiked the boesmanskloof trail about 2 weeks ago. Greyton to McGregor. Was amazing. The first 6km of uphill was gruelling. The trail was very quiet, which i loved. Definitely one to add to the bucketlist :white_check_mark:
Got caught in some strong wind, mist & some rain. Made for an interesting adventure, even the men wanted to shed a tear or two :joy:

3 Likes

Boesmanskloof trail is on my bucketlist for the year.

3 Likes

Note boesmanskloof recently burned down with eagles nest cottage completely gone. Harkerville is open again though. Also thought I should mention the All Trails app has some nice suggestions for anyone looking for gps track or just location of hikes. Found quit a few that I have not mentioned above. Its not all encompassing, but has quit a few.

1 Like

Hi,

Have you done the following:
Aasvoëlkop Hermanus, see Aasvoëlkop Map - Peak - Overberg, South Africa - Mapcarta
Phillipskop Stanford, see New Hiking Trail between Stanford and Tesselaarsdal - Phillipskop Mountain Reserve
Kranshoek Coastal Hike, see Kranshoek Hiking Trail - Garden Route Adventure Guide
Perdekop Hike, see Perdekop Hiking Trail - Garden Route Adventure Guide

I’ve done then all, and they’re fantastic.

2 Likes

Hi @Gerda - when you say that Harkerville is open again, do you mean to full coastal section as it used to be? We did the amended post-fire version at the end of 2018 but I would love to go and do the "proper’ Harkerville again! It is one of my favourite hikes of all time!

Sorry! I haven’t been on here in a while. When we swung by earlier this year they said it was open, but due to time constraints we have yet to do the walk so I cannot confirm if they fixed the trail or just left it post-fire. To my experience they rarely open the routes as it use to be. Thinking all the parks are closed, I would hope that SANParks and Cape Nature has been utilising the past 2 months to update trails. The latter is me being hopeful.

1 Like

Hi Ian, do you know if my dogs can hike along at Aasvoëlkop Hermanus and Phillipskop Stanford? Looking for hikes to do with dogs in the area. Thanks. Tanya

Hi Tanya,
The Fernkloof NR allows dogs, yet only on certain trails, which doesn’t include Aasvoëlkop.
I’ve however also taken an alternative route, which doesn’t enter the Fernkloof NR. There’s a trail (used by trail runners) which starts at the end of 7th & also 8th Avenues in Voëlklip, Hermanus.
You can find this on Google Maps.
Should you wish to do trails in the FNR, then see those which are possible to do with a dog, at Visitor Information
As for Phillipskop, no dogs are allowed, and see details for visiting there now, at Hiking at Phillipskop during COVID-19
Enjoy,
Ian

Super, thanks Ian. Appreciate it. Will def check out the alternative route :slight_smile: