Medical evacuation insurance for FRC

Hi all

I know this has been addressed before on this forum, but it look like things have changed since then. I am planning a hike down the Fish River Canyon and struggling to find a travel insurance company that:

a) Does not specifically exclude the FRC in their policy (e.g. Bryte, TIC)
b) And/or does not provide search and rescue coverage

My medical aid covers adventure sports, but not the search and rescue. I’d appreciate it if anyone can recommend a company they’ve recently used that will be able to provide additional cover?

Thank you

When I did it in 2021 I know I dug around trying to solve the same issue. I seem to have ended up using these folks. I can’t say if it was a good option, as thankfully nothing went wrong so no way to test :sweat_smile: But at the time it looked like they covered hiking like this and some form of search and rescue. Would take a look through, might be different now, and I see there is also a sports add-on.

As far as I can tell it covers some of search and rescue. R15k-R30k, not sure if that is a lot in terms of this? And doesn’t seem to exclude hiking even from the base package which many do.

https://www.allianz-assistance.co.za/travel-insurance-products.html

Thank you very much, I’ve reached out to them to see what they can offer.

15-30K doesn’t sound like a lot if a helivac is needed… :woman_shrugging: Let’s hope I will never have to find out!

Let us know how it goes!