Moisture Management / Wind-& Rain proof / Warm jacket

Hi guys, I am hiking Champagne Castle next weekend, staying over for 2 nights. I am looking for a jacket with high moisture managing qualities, but also windproof and fully waterproof. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I hiked with a non-moisture managing fleece and jacket this past weekend and my base layer (which does have the above) was soaking wet.

The jacket must be suitable to use for Kili in August. Thank you.

It’s always a good idea to separate your layers based on purpose. What I mean is, your rain jacket should be just that: keep the rain and wind out. It shouldn’t also be an insulating later, because if it gets wet, it takes ages to dry.

My preferred combo is a merino t-shirt, a technical fleece over that (fairly lightweight, wicking and quick-drying) and then the rain jacket over that. I can highly recommend the Black Diamond Stormline rain jacket.

If you’re walking up a steep hill, your body heat will definitely still cause some condensation inside the rain jacket, but the fleece will absorb most of that, to be dried out later.

I always keep some dry layers (thermals and a down jacket) in a drybag for when we reach camp, so that if, worst case scenario, everything gets wet, you can still get into something warm and dry for the night.

Hope that helps

7 Likes

If its worth anything - I took layers and a Goretex raincoat for Kili - It didn’t work so well in the hot lower forest as the Goretex really needs it to be hotter inside the jacket than outside to work - Once we got to the end of the second day that was fine.
I think theres a difference between a waterproof jacket and a Raincoat:
Personally I carry a waterproof Poncho as the Rain coat/ground sheet/Tarpaulin and it lives inside the rucksack rain cover pocket, other than that I use the Goretex jacket as a layered windproof waterproof jacket.

I did a 3 day Hike in the UK winter on the First night it was pitch black by 4pm, I was lost, set up camp, ate and was bored by 18:00 I slept well until 12, and then wide awake and bored again - it only got light at 09:30 - Longest night of my life and there was another one the next day! Each morning I poured out over two litres of condensation from my breath (single walled tent)
It snowed and was bloody cold the whole time. I hiked with a base layer, a thick wool polo neck and the Goretex jacket, with the poncho when the snow warmed up and became rain.
I carried a separate Base layer and was fine with these conditions Oh and I had waterproof pants too.

Now Ive got a down jacket in lieu of the wool jersey, but that thing is warm even when its wet. But I love my Goretex jacket.

3 Likes

Hi Arno, thank you so much for this - exactly what I needed. I just replied on one of your old postings regarding the BD jacket, so you have pretty much answered my questions. :wink: Would still like to know what you think of the K-Way expedition rain/wind etc. jacket vs the BD stormline.

Thank you,
Betsy

Appreciate your response. I have been searching for Gore-Tex and could not really find anything in SA. Is that an operator issue? LOL. My biggest concern for the outer jacket is the wicking properties so that I do not end up with wet base layers.

Interesting about using the poncho as a ground sheet!! THANKS for that. Any more suggestions on blocking a little bit (or A LOT - yeah right) of cold from the ground?

I see the BD waterproof pants comes highly recommendable. K-Way also has one, but I like the idea of the BD being stretchy.

Hahaha, love your story! Thanks for making me laugh … although I am sure it was no laughing matter to you at the time.

@Betsy I wanted to write you a full response but soon got bogged down, then recalled that there are others who have covered this topic well, they are also ultra experienced. I have found my experiences to align. Here are the links, they may help with decision making if not your whole expectation.

If you want try out Columbia’s Outdry gear. Locally at columbiasportswear.co.za

2 Likes

Thank you Carl, will have a look at the links. Much appreciated!

Kilimanjaro on the whole is dry except the first and 1/2 the 2nd day.

The biggest issue is building up internal heat, then cooling down and causing moisture to build up on your clothes - at the Lunch stop especially on the 4th day or you stand in the shade - the temperature plummets!

Layers are the best solution. I found that hiking the 4th and ascent day in Long Johns and waterproof trousers worked great

My wife wore a North Face version of this Ladies Discovery 3-in-1 Jacket - First Ascent which only differs in having zips on the armpits.
Ive got one, and its great if a little heavy. - Ideal for driving Open Safari Vehicles or in the Kgalagadi in Winter Its not “waterproof” as in my definition, but suited to most African conditions

Hi!
We did Kili last year January (‘dry season’) and it rained every single day and snowed on summit night. I had one of those k-way jackets and they are not waterproof! The only people that didn’t look like drowning rats were the ones with Goretex jackets…First thing I bought when I came back was a Black Diamond Stormline. :smiley:
Invest in one. You won’t be sorry.

1 Like

I bought one of their 3 in 1 ski jackets in 2015 - it seems perfect, but was also concerned about the weight.

This j as okey you are referring to has fought my eye a while back … you’ll message is kind off the cherry on the cake. I wonder if there are places to fit before buying?

My word!! Spellcheck. This jacket you are referring to …

Caught my eye! Susan, does the jacket provide some warmth as well?

Hi! No it’s just a rain layer. You wear thermals, thin fleece and maybe softshell jacket underneath it for warmth.
If you are in Gauteng you can go to Drifters in Joburg or City Rock in Joburg might also have some in their shop that you can try on (they also have shops in Cape Town). They stock Black Diamond. Just watch out they have a lot of nice things! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Also those kway jackets are very heavy and bulky…
Hope you come right!

1 Like

I didn’t think it would be … but worth a shot! :wink:
Thanks, will go there one day when it’s safe. :pray:t2:

Hi Susan, Which thermals would you recommend?

I have two pairs. One from first ascent and then one merino wool pair. I prefer the merino ones. Think they’re from ice breaker. Core merino might also make ones.Not sure. They’re on the expensive side but so nice and warm,dries quickly,doesn’t smell so much after a couple of days :laughing: and are moisture wicking. Also worth the investment​:grin:

2 Likes

Thx Susan. Got my BD stormline jacket. :grin:

1 Like

Awesome!!

Hi Susan, hope you are well. So our August '21 Kili trip had to be moved to Feb '22.
Would you mind terribly if I ask you for tips on what to pack?
It’s always nice to get info from someone who has actually been themselves.
Thanks a mill!
Betsy