Otter Trail

Brief Story of the mighty Otter Trail

If you are a dromomaniac (Someone with who suffers from uncontrollable psychological urge to wander and travel long distances) like me Otter Trail should definitely be one of your few stops along the way…Don’t forget World’s Highest Bungy Bridge (216 meters) in Bloukrans along Tsitsikama Adventures in Garden Route…

The 42-km hike traces the incredible Eastern Cape coastline from Storms River Mouth to Natures Valley in the Tsitsikamma National Park…There are lots of steeps and the best views the mind and body can only dream of…
Although it is not a strenuous hike, be cautious on packing…Legend prescribes your hiking backpack to be 20 percent of your body weight…I was safe at 22kilograms…

Otter trail involves steep ascends and descends and the ocean views from the top of the Tsitsikama Mountains are a life changing experiences…We passed along the rocky coastline through pristine fynbos and thick, moist Tsitsikama forest. We ocassionally saw whales and dolphins from the eye catching Indian Ocean views including at our sleeping cabins in the afternoon.

Nights were spent at the 12 sleeper log cabins where #TeamMatii led most singing moments. We even held OtterTrail Idols and Tlamelo led the dancing…While the singing competitions continued into most nights, we indulged in the tasty meals and alcohol which also involved the “expensive but little” R179 dinner pack from Mandisi. Maybe Hiking is Expensive…CONFESSION: Me, Mandisi and Tlamelo drank Baile and Abby’s 2 bottles of wine on first night when they were showering…Bloody Alcohol Thieves…

Witnessing the clashing of sea and rivers in the trail was major for me…It felt like the other was intriguing another’ space. At high tide, the sea moved deeper into the river’s territory and at low tide, it was the opposite…

We also crossed the scary and mighty Lottering and Bloukrans rivers at low tide without usage of safety bags…BUT WERE USED ON unMarked 1,4m high and smallnyana river near Nature’s Valley…

If it’s worth a year’s waiting, stop wondering like us dromomaniacs n go book a space…Maybe u can be lucky to get a spot in July Next Year or in November 2018 as we were warned if Port Elizabeth wild fires were to cross into the Tsitsikama forests…
The list is long…

2 Likes

Nice! :smiley:

Thank U

This sounds like a really awesome time was had in one of the most beautiful parts of our country - love the sneaky alcohol theft, haha! (Although I wouldn’t have been laughing if it was me!)