Port Edward to Port St Johns

Hi guys!
We are a group of friends planning to hike the route from Port Edward to Port St Johns over New Years.
We would like to know if there are any transport options available from Port St Johns back to Port Edward at the end of the hike?
Any recommendations or other tips for the route, food, accommodation would also be appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is from the BazBus site:
BULUNGULA/COFFEE BAY/MDUMBI/MPANDE/PORT ST.JOHNS - Shuttle service will meet Baz Bus at Shell Ultra Garage in Mthatha and take passenger to their accommodation (±100km). Contact accommodation to arrange shuttle & cost.

So I imagine you could possibly contact one of the accomodation options in Port St. Johns and hear if you can make use of their shuttle to get to Mthatha and catch the BazBus from there.

We did this hike a few years ago. One of my favourite hikes in SA. Amazing scenery.

Unfortunately the transport we used was with local taxis so no real information regarding set time tables etc. We did sleep at a very nice campsite in Port Edward called Old Pont Holiday Resort where we left our vehicles for the duration of the hike. On the transport I cannot help too much as we used local transport and hitchhiked to get from Port St Johns to Port Edward.

Some highlights of the hike was sleeping in the cave next to waterfall as you enter Mkambati. Waterfall Bluff and Cathedral Rock is obvious highlights and then also standing in the wave break at Luputana.

We just slept in tents on route as you might get occasional storms that time of year.

1 Like

We did the route from Port St Johns to Coffee bay on our honeymoon (also a really fun hike) - and we just took a local taxi back to Port St Johns. Super cheap. You should be able to do the same - but give the guys at Amapondo backpackers a call - they’re real friendly and will be able to advise on all transport options. They might be able to arrange a shuttle for you or give advise on local transport. Enjoy!!

1 Like

Thanks for all the help - the hike was superb and I will highly recommend doing it.

We ended up getting a transfer from the local tourism office for a very reasonable price.

An all-inclusive hike can also be booked through one of the locals called Bongani (083 728 2007).

2 Likes

Hi Douweg - did you use a guide or did you plan the trip yourself and carry your own food? I’m planning this trip at the moment but looking for more info; especiall around the route you did, places you stayed/camped, etc.

Hello EveryOne!
We live 3km from Magwa Falls and offer a 1-day Waterfall Bluff Safari and hike.
Feel free to visit us on your next Wild Coast adventure.
www.louisatmagwafalls.co.za
Injoy!