Short Overnight Hikes near Cape Town

Hi,

My son and I are looking for quick short overnight hikes really near to Cape Town.

Mainly two reasons: sometimes one just wants get away from suburbia but you don’t have much time; or you want to try out some new hiking equipment.

We been looking for places to do this and driving to Groot Winterhoek and Cederberg is just too far for a quick walk and overnighter.

We hoping some-one can advise, even if it is a local farm with beautiful scenery, little to no people and lots of quiet :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Look at the Cape nature website. A few overnight huts at Landroskop, Cape Point and Table mountain that you can book.

2 Likes

If you can leave early on a Saturday, Groot Winterhoek is very doable for a weekend in my opinion.

Alas, other options are Hottentots-Holland, Bainskloof (overnight at Tweede Tol) and do day walks from there, The Highlands Trail in Kogelberg.

The Mountain Club has several options (Springstybeugel, Johnson Hut, Kromrivier Hut, Agtertafelberg) but you will need to be a member or a guest of a member.

In Cape Town there is the Cape of Good Hope Trail which definitely lets you feel “out of the city” without going very far. You can also stay on top of Table Mountain, using Overseers Cottage as an overnight stop.

1 Like

Hi, thanks. Cape Nature has a minumum of 3 people and doesn’t allow us to pitch our own tents. Seems to be a common theme amongst Cape Nature parks where there are chalets / huts - they don’t allow ‘wild camping’. We also looking at making a decision on the day and be hiking and camping overnight :slight_smile: … Cape Nature’s booking office are only open at a certain time …