Sleeping pads

I have used the very thick closed cell foam pad from Sportsmans Warehouse and found it quite comfortable and very warm.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/natural-instincts-camp-handimat-20mm-c1012581

It is quite bulky, but surprisingly light weight.

1 Like

Guys and girls feedback on Thermarest self inflation pads :joy:non repairable.i just became a PROUD OWNER and USER of CLOSED CELL FOAM PAD. Thanks to everyone giving their input on “SLEEPING PADS”:+1::+1:TO ALL REPLIES

2 Likes

What happened to that Lifetime blah blah repair BS you were so hopeful about above?

I was only talking to a guide today and thankfully couldn’t remember the team thermal’s rest!

My decision point was to buy First Ascent - they’ve got an office in CT and have been super helpful with a tent that I had to send back because of motorcycle related technicality. Also my friends FA rucksack - they repaired the mesh that was ripped on the Otter traill no questions asked.

Tried F/A (ultralight self inflation pad)puchased at outdoor warehouse ;here in Gauteng ,on my Battlefields(hiking/camping) trip the F/A delaminated.while at Tugela Mouth,I got a full refund from Outdoor Warehoue Carnubia Mt edgecombe;sitting without a pad I had no option than Thermarest pad(if I wanted to finish my Battlefields trip.See photo attached ,it was taken in Dundee it is F/A pad,I had to book in at a holiday home in umkomaas for more than a week waiting for Thermarest pad to be delivered from Futurama .after receiving a pad ;had to travel back to Tugela Mouth to finish my Battlefields trip.So long and short must I cancel a trip planned for months to END because of Gear Failure and try the same trip all over at later stage.Thermarest blah blah cost then a client,would I recommend Thermarest Never! did Thermarest cost me money,No they cost themselves money,they have to market harder their blah blah,they know the numbers game one customer lost is same as 100 or much more (Customer care) :joy:no Care for customers No customers,short and sweet!.Credit to F/A ,mailed CT while on trip they gave me a option to replace or full refund.Do i still buy F/A yes ,would I buy ANY AIR PAD NOOOOOOO.WHY SHOULD I.my recent trip N/C up to Kakamas Thermarest gear failure, both pads ( one pad was a back up in case of failure)so closed cell foam pad doesn’t need AIR​:joy:Hope this helps

There is a new motto on the 4x4 Forums ABOUT AIRPADS ,buy them cheappppppp ,they fail (Recycle Bin):joy::+1:

All gear on photo is F/A ,fly sheet to light weight ground sheet,thanks for your reply,hope this answers the Therm(yes on the ground) REST :cold_face:

Except sleeping bag is deuter SB

Life has gone full circle,the mat I started hiking with 37 years ago ,to return to it(tried and tested)image

1 Like

The long and short,is to do homework on a product,talk to people using a product SEE ATTACHMENTS (is there a warning on this product to warm you against the cause of cancer?is the product still on the shelf’s ?YESUploading: FD8005C2-F999-4AEF-9484-B164BE90FE7B.png… Uploading: E007CE7F-D843-4476-B9D3-2E60D2421D00.png… https://www.coghlans.com/thermal-blanket-8544.scubafrique generations before us and generations after us know it as SELLING SNAKE OIL😂

Sorry, I’m a bit late to this discussion…

I can recommend Thermarest as they do stand by their products. After about 6 years of puncture free use, my Neoair Trekker started developing a bubble (delaminating). The local distributor asked that I send it in for evaluation and I received a brand new mattress. I didn’t really use an extra mattress underneath the Thermarest and did sometimes use a groundsheet but I made an effort to look out for thorns/sharp rocks before putting down the mattress and tried to only pack it inside my bag.

I suppose a closed cell mattress is more durable but I really enjoy the air mattress and it packs up quite small.

3 Likes