Solo Hiking: Western Cape

Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking for a place to go solo camping/hiking over a weekend for quite some time.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Anywhere in the Cederberg. Being a wilderness area, there are many options. For normal car-camping, Kromrivier (Cederberg Park) is a great option.

2 Likes

Ah cool, thank you Arno.

I’ve also heard of people going to Kogelberg Nature Reserve with a tent and spending the weekend, hiking and camping, but I can’t find anything online regarding this.

Do you know if this is true? I’ve tried sending them an email, but haven’t received a response…yet :slight_smile:

As far as I know Kogelberg is not a wilderness area, so off-trail hiking is not allowed and overnight accommodation is limited to the Frank Robb hut or the accommodation on the Iona farm. No camping is allowed in the reserve itself:

Hello Splicer

You can try the Porterville, Tulbagh, Ceres area. There are lots of routes that go over farms and into nature reserves. In the Winterhoek mountains on the Tulbagh side there’s some options, also in the Witzenberg Valley there are some nice routes where you will be able to camp.

Thanks Arno, I figured as much.

@Arno, does this mean, generally speaking, I could hike/camp in a Wilderness Area, granted I have the proper permits/access to the area?

Thanks for all the suggestions @francoismaritz89.

I’ll definitely check this out. I’ve found a hike in that area North of the Gydo Pass. It seems that my next step is getting into contact with the MSCA.

Apologies for all the questions. Information for “off the beaten track” hikes are hard to come by and I’m hoping to enrich Google Maps with the information given.

100% correct. MCSA owns quite a few pieces of land where you can hike and camp to your heart’s content - good association to be a part of and support :wink::+1:

2 Likes