TENT FOR DRAKENSBERG

So I reckon this was asked a hundred times…I am a bit slow. This gal needs your expert and experienced advice on a nice tent for all wilderness hiking conditions.
-It must be light (as I need to carry trad gear and harnesses, helmets etc that adds considerable weight)
-Must have a solid design as to the general condensation problem, wind resistance, easy enough to pitch, and general downpour and rain issues. Snow? Maybe(is a 4 season a real must???)
-2 man size with lots of space, 2 vestibules

Once shared with a friend who has the Big Agnes Copper Spur and that was surprisingly light and roomy. Any thought on the bike-packing version? Another name that I am interested in is the MSR Huba Huba

Input would be appreciated!

1 Like

Do you have a price range you are looking in? If you are happy importing and paying in the $500 rand the Copper Spur tents have great reputations, the Nemo Dagger and Hornet have good reputations in the same space.

I don’t have any solid Drankensberg experience, so anyone who does interject, but I can’t imagine a three season tent being too much of an issue if you have a decent bag and sleeping pad.

1 Like

a thread 10yrs old and still running:

An answer or two there, maybe even ask?

Hi

I have an unused Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 for sale. It’s brand new & never been used… Whatsapp me if you’re interested. My number is 0767112669.

Darryl

1 Like

MSR and Big Agnes make great backpacking tents, low weight and roomy. These tents are pricey, especially if bought in S.A. and can be difficult to get hold of. I am personally not aware of any place in S.A. that stocks Big Agnes. I use a MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person tent which is a joy for hiking. Good condensation control, light weight and roomy with two vestibules, although I have read reports that it doesn’t stand up to severe winds such as on the Drakensberg escarpment. So be certain that the tents you are looking at can handle severe winds if they are going to be used in the Drakensberg on a regular basis. Maybe look into the 4 season tents of either MSR or Big Agnes. 4 season tents will handle severe winds better but will be heavier and probably will only have one vestibule. Other options are Black Diamond, The North Face and our local brand K-way.

I have been very impressed with the Naturehike Star River 2. Well priced, lightweight, spacious, proper 2-person sizing, 2 vestibules and additional fabric on the inside to keep the temps inside the tent nice and cozy.

1 Like

Arno this is also a good option. The only and major problem I have with Naturehike is that they are chinese brand which copies some of the designs of other brands and then undercuts them in price because they don’t have to do the research and development that the other brands have already done for them.

2 Likes

I am a bit cautious about Naturehike. I previously purchased a one man 4 season tent as it was what I could afford then, but realized soon it was not suitable for anything too rough. I would rather buy something that is tried and tested and has stood the test of time. I know it might just be me, but once purchases it will need to last a long time and I am a bit on the soft side…:smile:

1 Like

I don’t really have a price range: a friend is buying for me and I think he would rather have peace of mind than to worry if he’s not around when I’m adventuring. Also doesn’t mind importing if that is what needs to be done

1 Like

This is true, then the company that originally did all the R&D goes under and everyone is crying that all the best brands that contributed the most have closed down.
Segway is a great example of this. Copied to the hilt by Ninebot. Eventually, they got into financial trouble due to all the cheap copies being made by NineBot. NineBot eventually purchased them.

1 Like

@mel.i
If price is not such an issue and importing good too you should consider those trekking pole tents, if you use trekking poles?

Bonfus.
Liteway.
Khufu.

Super light and due to shape good for mountain conditions, or so I’m told. I use a Vango, mountain tough, but a heavy basta.

Sea to Summit have a few a new additions to the market called the Alto TR2 and Telos TR2, some folks like them. Are available in SA, sold out perhaps, but on the market.

1 Like

I hear you and partially agree, but that’s what a patent is for. Take the MSR Hubba range of tents: As far as I know it was the first range of tents with the connected, double-wishbone pole design and spreader pole. Now everyone uses it, included top brands like Big Agnes and Sea To Summit, who are also doing a lot of innovation themselves, but clearly copying a design. To your point, the Naturehike Mongar and Star River are obvious copies of the Hubba Hubba with some minor differences, but nowhere near the quality of workmanship and that’s where I kind of have some tolerance for them. If I’m a regular hiker who puts my gear through its paces and I want to last, I’m going to buy MSR, Sea To Summit or Big Agnes. However, if I’m a fairly infrequent, fair-weather hiker, I appreciate Naturehike.

Also, as a runner, I appreciate First Ascent’s clear copy of the Patagonia running shorts, because I can’t get myself to pay Patagonia prices for anything :joy: :+1:

3 Likes