Travel work advice needed

I am posting this here since this community would probably be able to give some awesome suggestions.

Let me cut to the chase. I would like to work overseas for a year or three. I would like to ask for suggestions from you guys.

Some info about me:

I am 24 years old and I just finished my undergrad in electronic engineering and my master’s in engineering management. I am currently working as a data analyst (very exciting (not really)). I don’t have anything holding me in South Africa such as a girlfriend or any other major responsibility. Eventually, I would like to come back and start a family but right now I want to go on an adventure!

What I am looking for:

ANYTHING!

Well maybe not anything but I am open to almost anything. I would like to go somewhere cool. Some examples include:

• Kenya
  • St Helena island
  • Patagonia
  • Chech republic
  • Antarctica
  • you get the point (I just want an adventure)

I don’t really care how much money I make but it would be nice if it could at least pay for my flight ticket there and back. I also don’t want to cut into my savings. So if I can come back with the same amount of money that I left with I would be happy.

Some Jobs I was thinking of include:

• Volunteer work
  • Something offshore
  • Waitering
  • Mountain guide
  • Tree felling

The point is, I don’t necessarily have to be doing anything involving engineering.

My CV (in short):

• Bachelor’s in electronic engineering
  • Masters in engineering management (Did my project on intermodal transport road-to-rail)
  • Currently working as a data analyst for an American-based international company where I collaborate with people from Germany, the USA, South Africa, and the UK.

My mountain CV:

• Have done 10+ five-day hikes
  • Sport climbing
  • Abseiling/kloofing
  • Highlining
  • Scuba diving
  • Freediving
  • Surfing
  • 3-gun shooting
  • Hunting
  • Snow skiing
  • Trail running

I also love working with people and animals (sorry plants, you’re not that cool).

Please let me know if you have any rad suggestions or experiences that you would like to share!

Cheers!

1 Like

Check the SANAP website. South Africa has three stations; Gough Island, Marion Island and Antartica - they take applications every year for the following year.

They look for mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, meteorologists etc. You’ll have to have some practical experience and will be stationed for 18 months at a time.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Thanks!

All the best Bro.

Just reading about what you plan to do is exciting.

Keep us updated please.