What is the correct tent for the Drakensburg

I’m losing my mind trying to find the right tent.

I wanted to buy the MSR Hubba Hubba or the Sea to Summit Telos TR2. But I just don’t feel they will withstand those Berg winds when the time comes.

I was looking at those two from a weight and comfort point of view. But there’s no point in that of it collapsing on you in the night.

Those are pricy tents. But the idea was a one-off purchase that would buy the best product and last a lifetime.

And now I can’t decide. Looking at Vango now as an alternative.

Have little experience with the Berg, but I know pyramid style tents have a strong reputation in the mountaineering space. Mountain Laurel Designs is US based but makes some of the best put together gear I own. They ship here and the prices are not actually bad compared to a lot of stuff. You just have to be willing to put up with the wait time for things to be made :sleepy:

But these are also pretty basic tents in some regards and require trekking poles, so might not suite your style.

There are no more rabbits in the rabbit hole. Just hikers frothing at the mouth ogling gear.:joy:

Vango will do the job. Geodesic or semi geodesic for wind stability. Outer pitch first, or all in one… (just dry the condensation on inside of fly out before packing away in the morning lest you want a soggy tent next night). Impressive waterheads (HH) on fly and floor. Good 4 season features. Tough tents. Bit heavy. But tough. And a nice mellow green colour to hide.

I have an older Vango Halo 200 and happy with it. You don’t need to spend 10k upwards for a decent shelter. As per your 1st answer on VE. There are even some good tents for sale there under the thread…

Here’s more reading

And something to cheer you up

@Ruth
Can you recommend? I’ve seen plenty of your YouTube videos in the Drakensberg. Thanx

I have used the NatureHike VIK 1 very successfully in the Drakensberg. I have also used the Black Diamond Mirage and the Hilleberg Allak 3 and the Hilleberg Nammatj 3. All of them worked very well, with the Hilleberg tents being particularly bombproof, but with a heavy price tag. I have also used a tarp for several nights, even on top of the Drakensberg, and I have been fine. With a tarp you do need to know what you are doing to get the pitch right, and you need to select a campsite much more carefully. A lot of the ‘lower end’ tents could probably work alright in the Drakensberg if as much care was taken with camp site selection.

Tents that do well in the Drakensberg are generally the ones that are designed to handle heavy wind and rain really well.

2 Likes