What is the hardest "hutted" hike in South Africa?

We did the Amatola hiking trail a year and half ago. They market it as the toughest hiking trail in South Africa. Now, obviously you go and hike in a wilderness area and make it as hard as you want (Drakensberg Grand Traverse springs to mind :scream:), so thatā€™s why I specified the ā€œhuttedā€ hike. I found the Amatola proper tough and thought that it lives up to itā€™s name, but wondered if anyone has another route that deserves the title?

Please state if you have, or have not, hiked the Amatola :wink:

2 Likes

i have done the Amatola and it is HARD. hard and beautiful. havenā€™t done anything more committing in South Africa - a big one for any hikerā€™s tick-list and the gateway to do just about anything.

1 Like

The Amatola is the toughest multi-day hike Iā€™ve done, BY FAR! The Outeniqua trail felt relaxed in comparison.

With the Amatola, I benefitted a lot from some proper strength training for my legs and core before the hike - first time I ever used a leg-press machine :grimacing:. There are some BIG hills!

1 Like

The Amatola is indeed the toughest. Sadly, I have not done it (had the opportunity once, but personal commitments required me to cancel - a story for the campfire).
I have done most of the big multi-day ā€œhuttedā€ hikes in mostly the southern parts of the country, including Outeniqua (x10+), Tsitsikamma, Swartberg (x2), Swellendam (x2), Otterā€¦
Amatola trumps them all.
So if anyone is keen to organise another Amatola, please count me in!!

1 Like

Interesting discussion - I havenā€™t done the Amatola, but will probably have a go at it in the next year or so.

Anyone have the stats or a GPS track for the trail? I am mostly interested in the vertical profile.

I did the Giants Cup Trail in 15h52 on Saturday, not as fast as I was shooting for, but it is 62km with 2km in vertical - so not exactly a walk in the park (well, technically it is in a national park).

It would be interesting to put together a list of every 3+day hutted hiking trail in SA and compare the list in terms of vertical and horizontal distance. Altitude is also a relevant factor - I assume Giants Cup Trail would be the highest in terms of average elevation (roughly 2000m, with 2160m as a high point).

Non-hutted trails would be a contest between a Drakensberg Grand Traverse and Rim of Africa, I guess. And that would depend on definition, seeing as Golden Gate to Tiffindell has been done as a full Drakensberg Grand Traverse. For that matter - what is a ā€œtrailā€ - about half of the DGT is off-trail, and roughly half of what is on trail is a case of ā€œfollow that trail for 200m, then walk 50m and pick up the next trail that goes at a 30 degree angle to where you are actually trying to goā€.

1 Like

Chatting to some friends on this topic - interesting question on how does one define a hutted trail. E.g. what about the following:
Day 1 start at Vergelegen and hike to Bannerman Hut
Day 2 to Tseketseke Hut
Day 3 to Amphitheatre Hut
Day 4 to Tseki Hut near Phuthaditjhaba
Day 5 finish up at Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge

That would be a solid 200+km entirely hutted trail.

@Ghaznavid - letā€™s not get too contrived/technical here. A hutted trail is one that is booked as a fixed itinerary with huts to sleep at every night. Also almost always marked with painted footprints or similar, so self-navigation along part of a network of wilderness trails doesnā€™t really fit the bill. Good examples: Otter, Tsitsikamma, Fanie Botha, Outeniqua, etc.

And yes, Iā€™d agree that Amatola trumps them all. Typically about 18km with 1000m climb daily.

@stijnless - that is true. Had a good chuckle when Andrew made the above suggestion, thought it was worth sharing.

Did the Amathola Trail when I was quite a lot younger and it is easily the toughest hutted trail Iā€™ve done.

I canā€™t imagine any formal/itinerary-based hutted trail in SA being more difficult especially if one is doing the entire Amatola. Perhaps the Fanie Botha Trail? Has anybody done both?

:joy: :joy:
That would certainly rank right up there, surely unbeatable in southern Africa. That said it would take a very brave, cold or injured man to actually sleep in the hut on Mont-Aux Sources (Amphitheatre).

Iā€™ve done both, and while Fanie Botha does have one or two big climbs over the 5 day route, itā€™s certainly easier than Amatola overall.

One of the amazing things about the Amatola is that itā€™s one of the few hutted trails in the country that hasnā€™t succumbed to the rather annoying habit of rerouting trails along forestry roads once the original single-track becomes too overgrown. Did it again recently and Iā€™d say 95km of the 100km is on blissful, beautiful single-track :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This sounds like a bucketlist hike!

I am organizing an Amatola hike for 3 - 8 October this year. There are still a few spaces available. Come and join us!
Feel free to send a WhatsApp at 082 341 2296

2 Likes

Hi there. I am organizing an Amatola hike for 3 - 8 October this year. My contact details are below.
I did it last year, but going back again. Just cannot stay away!

With what you guys describe as the mother of all local hikes practically in my back yard I should probably consider it?

Thanks for all the info, folks!:+1:t2:

Still deciding: Amatolla , Swellendam or Oorlogskloof. But I am going back to all of them!

2 Likes

Hi there

Do you still have any spaces left on your Amatola hike? Thinking about it!

Hi Tanya
Yes we do! You can send me a WhatsApp on 082 341 2296 for more info.

1 Like

Not sure if itā€™s the toughest - but it sure is one for the books. Humbling, isolated and utterly beautiful. We did the hike in Dec 2016 and Iā€™d go back tomorrow if I could! Hereā€™s a little clip of our trip

3 Likes

What a lekker video :smiley::+1:

1 Like