I’m researching a “mini” thru-hike of the wild coast roughly from Port Edward to Port Alfred. I am aware there are guided tour/slack-packing options for certain sections of the coastline, but am interested in a self-supported trip rather. I have a few questions for anyone who has done sections of this coastline:
- Safety: Does anyone have recent info on any safety precautions that can be taken while hiking in this area, especially as a woman.
- Route Maps: Does anyone have access to existing route maps (I would generally plan to follow the coast and/or cattle tracks in the more rocky/cliff type sections
- River crossings: I am hoping I could some of the river crossings, but would love more info from people who’ve been recently - for example is it quite common to be able to pay someone to ferry me across? Paddle across with my gear in a watertight bag and hope the sharks are elsewhere?
- Resupply: There are a number of small towns/spaza shops/community stores, but if anyone has done this and has tips on where to resupply along the way, that would be helpful
- Has anyone on the forum done this stretch in chunks or all in one go before? I’d love to chat.
Thanks so much,