Wolberg Cracks & Arch

Hi guys :slight_smile:

We are doing the cracks and the arch this weekend from Sanddrif side. I wanted to find out if anyone has info for me about water near the Arch this time of the year. I’ve never been to the Arch before and we are planning on camping there for the night.

I hear there is a nice cool-down spot about 2km away towards Gabrieskloof.

Any advice or info on what the water situation up there looks like would be much appreciated!

C

Gabrielskloof is your best bet. Can’t comment on current water levels.

Thanks @Arno

Found out from people that visited the Arch a week ago that there is a decent amount of water Gabrielskloof’s side.

Thanks!

Thinking of doing exactly this myself for Wifey’s and my anniversary - Not been for three years so curious to know if there are any changes.

Either that or Crystal pools From Algeria (much longer and Im still walking in the knee.

Ive not yet had a reply from Sanddrift so wondering if theres any pre booking necessary?
Last time I was there, there was water about 2 km North of the Arch and about 1km towards the cracks.

Hey!

We did the Algeria - Crystal Pool hike a couple of weekends ago, beautiful and lots of water points but yes definitely a longer walk (especially going up Groot Hartseer) but Crystal Pools is just so beautiful :slight_smile:

Wolfberg trip this weekend was amazing, my first time there so obviously blown away by the arch and cracks and the surrounds, we were also lucky being alone at the Arch until after sunset. I emailed Sanddrif that we were planning the trip and organised overnight permits from Cape Nature for the Arch and then for parking your car at the cracks and hiking up there we got permits early before our hike at Sanddrif. Apparently you can also organise telephonically would you want to start early but we had to still drive in from CT and they open at 8am.

And yes, there was water 2.3km from the Arch towards Gabrielskloof (so 4.6 return). Not a lot but good enough to refill and apparently there is a bigger pool 2mins walk on but we wanted to head back to the arch so can’t confirm on that one.

Ive booked my overnight - 17th year anniversary!

2 Likes

Hope you have a magical trip!

THERE IS NO WATER AT DANIELS SWEMGAT (28 Feb 2021)
Despite whatever the staff at Dwarsriver office for Cape Nature permit tell you.
the ground surrounding the reed grass around the “water holes” is dry not even damp, no moisture found when digging here either.
Walked 100m up and down Gabriels pass from the Swemgat and its all bone dry.

That said heres full moon at Wolfberg Arch.

4 Likes

So sorry to hear about the water situation, hope you guys had enough with you!

When we were there there was a fair amount along the river bank but didn’t go to Daniels’ Swemgat.

The full moon at the Arch must have been worth it though! :slight_smile:

Going up next month for a sleepover under the arch.
Any suggestions from those that have been there overnighting to take with and what not to take with?
I will be packing my 2 man tent, air mattress and sleeping bag with gas cooker in my Osprey Volt 60, we are a group of 18 or more.

Thanx

Hi :slight_smile:

Take enough water, it can get hot up there. As per thread above, the nearest point to get water is Gabrieskloof which is a 4km round trip from the Arch itself so IF you need more water factor in enough time for water collection. Also, don’t bank on Gabrielskloof for water though. Everyone I’ve heard of going there have always found some but like Graham said above, when they were there it was dry. Might be useful to take a filter straw/bottle/purification tables with just in case you don’t find flowing streams at Gabriels. When we were there, a bigger group arrived and the amount of times we heard people in the group ask around “does anyone have water” was actually a little bit scary.

Sounds like there’s a lot of traffic up there these days but there’s ample space to camp around the arch even if you don’t find the perfect spots right underneath it.

Enjoy the trip!

1 Like

Ok so plenty water then, thank you

Ive seen tons of scorpions at night in the Tankwa Karoo next door at night with the 7 Afrikaburns I have attended, any advice for critters after dark here at Cederberg Wolfberg Arch? Other than the compulsory rule of keep your tent zipped up at all times.

Did a sleepover there last December and again in April this year.

It has been said, but take enough water.
Warm clothes for the night - December it was 36+ degrees in the day but the night on the mountain was still cold.

We slept under the stars, stunning to wake up on a clear night like that.
Saw one scorpion but am sure there were many more, so if that is a thing for you just keep your tent closed.

There is a lot of day traffic but on both trips we were the only people who stayed overnight.

Might do another one this December to show people who have not experienced it yet.

2 Likes

Many thanx
Yeah I have a rule that a tent is zipped up 100% of the time, never ever leave it open. Ever.
I sure do hope it is a cloudless evening with no rain as I am looking forward to sleeping in my tent without the flysheet to see the stars.
Think I will take 4 litres of water with for the hike there and hike back next morning.

@Chuckmyster, how was your hike?

Absolutelly amazing, but I ran out of water, 4 litres wasn’t enough for me for 2 days. Luckily the hikers with me brought enough.

Making pizza under the arch was my highlight. Will do it again.

1 Like

Great!!

Thanks for the photos.
Planning a multi day hike around there soon, this just reminds me why it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Do it
And start hiking early in the morning, I started at 7:20am and should have started an hour earlier.
The hike up the mountain and then through wide cracks is tiring when your backpack weighs 20kg.
After that it is kind of level but very tiring as there is no shade in the heat as the time gets closer to lunch time. I had a wide brim hat but even that didnt help much.
No wonder I went through so much water on this hike

1 Like

The pizza under the arch looks amazing :slight_smile: Glad you had people with you with extra water. For interest sake, did anyone go down to Gabriels to collect? Also, hearing that it’s getting rather trafficked up there?