Bag recommendations (both kinds :))

Thanks for the info Gerrie! I was at Drifters this weekend and they all feel really comfy! That shop blew my mind and I could feel my wallet sweating as I entered… I wonder if they will do custom invoices so they match what I tell my wife. :joy:

The Mutant does look really great. I like the hardier material because I would hate to snag something a bit thinner on a thorn. We plan to do a few of the Kruger hikes and thorn protection isn’t something really highlighted from any of the big brands. Should this even be a concern for me?

Nah I don’t need to earn fastpack style. There are people that do nothing but hike so why not learn from them and get to as light as possible as quick as possible. I know what comforts I am willing to sacrifice and I know what gear is non negotiable. Maybe I will even cut my toothbrush in half :sweat_smile: (Warmth and nutrition I would count as safety and I will never skimp there.)

The sacrifices you talk about are two-way I feel? The more comfortable you are when camp is set up, the less comfortable you had to be carting the stuff there. I am new to this but I don’t think your “fast and light” fanboy example helps at all. You can’t gauge his preparedness just because he didn’t eat and chill with you. Hiking shouldn’t be competitive.

I use a Thule Capstone Mens 40L, and one can add accessories depending on one’s requirements for a hike. Seehttps://thulestore.co.za/thule-capstone-40l-mens-atlantic-1339

The Mutant is actually not that durable - on its very first outing on Table Mountain the sandstone ripped a nice big hole in it, but Osprey repaired it no questions asked. This pack is about 1kg, so it is very lightweight materials, which are a compromised on durability.

Regarding the lightweight comments, of course you can (and should) get the best possible gear to keep weight as low as possible, within your means. You are right that it is a trade off - the ones that carry heavier during the day may be more comfortable at night. My “fanboy” example wasnt meant as a competitive point, more the fact that he was physically colder and hence had to retreat to the comfort of his tent very early each night (it was made a bit tongue in cheek). This is more relevant in wilderness environments, at higher altitudes, and in winter. For the Otter and Kruger, 1 x day outfit plus long johns, a light puffy and a beanie for the evenings would be ample (and a rain jacket of course).

1 Like

Thule pack seemed very nice! Also had a look at them this weekend. Hard to find a lot of reviews on them though? Have you had an Osprey or similar to compare it to?

Ah I see now Gerrie! Yeah if his gear limited what he was able to do then that’s a whole different story. We booked otter today so we have a year to get streamlined. Going to Lesotho in a few weeks but nothing overnight just yet until we have some proper gear.

No, I have a Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10, but this is for when I’m carrying a tent, and full kit. The Thule is great for using when going hut-to-hut. There’s a review on the Thule Capstone 50L at Gear Review: Thule Capstone 50L men's backpack - Modern Hiker

1 Like

Dieter something occurred to me this morning to add and it’s this…
Even though Cape Storm and First Ascent kit is not the best around and largely copied they both have very good after service locally. I’ve had kit repaired and replaced for free, no argument. They are both owned by Performance Brands (Sportsmans/Outdoor Whorehouse) so there’s the giant behind the curtain. FA is a bit inconsistent and CS is not too grand. But they’ll do the job. CS used be really good, FA too. my down jacket from way back when is still incredible and they repaired the zip I mangled for zip.
Just worth knowing.

Very good point and I have never really given them a second glance! Same for me and K-way. I would much rather get something from Decathlon or aliexpress, especially for items that aren’t that crucial. Decathlon has an awesome looking down jacket for R900. If it’s good enough for Europe it will be just fine for here.

Speaking Aliexpress, this brand has some great offerings https://3fulgear.com/ along with Naturehike. We seem to have a local rep this side anyways. https://naturehike.aliexpress.com/store/2878009

I went and looked at a Naturehike down bag, was not impressed at all. Cheaply made, down clumped in baffles leaving many vacancies (cold spots) and worse of all was the smell of the bag, like duck-bum. Pity.
Other guys (eg Arno) have had success with Nh and happy as a lark.

I’m not an internet shopper at all, have to feel the product, inspect it. I’m tactile, though perhaps tactless. Point being, images are seductive, reality is whatever reality is.

My cousin enjoys Decathlon.

Yeah from what I have read a bag is the one thing you should splurge on if anything. USA places like EE get the bag made in China and they do the filling in house.

Hi everyone!

I thought I can ask some advice on this thread instead of creating a new one.

I am looking to replace my old Deuter 65 + 10 (75L) which weighs ± 3kg empty. I want something lighter (less than 2kg) but still need a pack that has capacity for a 5 to 6 day hike (space for a tent, matrass, stove, food etc.). In the 65 - 70L range (I don’t want to go bigger than 70L). The brands that I am considering must be available in South Africa, so far it is Osprey, Deuter and Gregory. At this stage I am leaning towards the Osprey Aether Pro 70. I want a lighter pack but it should still be comfortable and be able to carry the weight for a 5 to 6 day hike. So my question is:

• Which of these brands mentioned above do you you prefer?
  • Which model of the three brands mentioned would you recommend?
  • Any other advice, recommendations or thoughts you would like to share.

Thanks

I’m a big fan of Gregory packs - the pack debate is a long rabbit hole so I’ll just say it’s personal preference :slight_smile: The Zulu, Katmai, Paragon and Stout packs are great. Stout being the one with the most carrying capacity (if I remember correctly). I’d also personally say that 70+l would be overkill but again, personal preference and I guess it depends a lot on the type of gear you have :slight_smile:

Although I have never seen a Gregory pack except on the internet, the reviews are almost always positive. I would definitely not go over 70L as my gear is quite compact with a few items that can still be upgraded. Have you had any experience with osprey and deuter packs?

Can’t give any info on Deuter but on Osprey’s side the Rook/Renn range is nice, would still rather go for a Gregory and heard good things about the Aether. A friend had the Volt60 and wasn’t the most comfortable (but again, depending on body type it might fit really well for others).

I think the Black Diamond Mission backpack is also available locally. Vango also has some options (MMO, Drifters, RAM). Not to confuse the choice further :slight_smile:

Thanks for the options will look into Black diamond, Vango and definitely Gregory!

Ha Ive the same pack and its been repaired too many times - 3kgs!

First thing to say to @_Dieter (2 years later) and everyone else is that to fit all your gear into 50L pack for a 5-6 day trail you need lightweight compact kit that takes time to build up.

I had settled on the Granite Gear Blaze 60 pack, but as theyre out of stock and I want it before the next big hike Im looking into the Gregory / Osprey
They have:
Gregory Paragon 58 & 68,
Gregory Stout 60
Gregory Zulu 55

Im undecided and like many have no experience of the Gregory, but I do love the Osprey (except their price which are nearly 2000 more than the Gregorys)

1 Like

Ah yes well since then I have had this https://3fulgear.com/product/packs/qidian-pro-backpack/ and I cut off more straps and took out some foam and it’s around 750g. Otter trail, 4 days+ in the berg , Kaapsehoop, all done comfortably within the 40l main compartment. It didn’t take long to get the compact lightweight kit, just don’t buy the wrong stuff the first time around :sweat_smile:

It was pre covid but my pack was under R1000 landed!

https://lighterpack.com/r/ekiwup Most recent trip if you are interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

_Dieter Id like to have a breakdown of your food menu - When Im camping I like to appreciate the environment to the max so when I come back home to the every day drudgery Im look back with fond memories, hence I generally over pack on the foods and eat like a king! Im 5.8kg for 6 days.leaving 400g for reserve!

I love the philosophy behind the integrated sleeping pad for structure and support, I looked at that pack a few times, but cant see it working when loaded with 15+Kg. also no top cover pocket.
You should do a review of it, currently priced at $92 + shipping, its not a bad option

Theres a definite difference between gear for solo hiking (well packing for yourself), vs hiking with a partner - and Ive geared towards hiking with a partner / family, so putting together a solo kit for the stuff Im doing now
Stuff Id use on the Otter trail or with Wifey in the Cederberg vs I wouldn’t use on the Kruger trail.

I hike with my wife but put all the stuff we share on my list. Like I will carry kitchen stuff she carries coffee, I will take the main tent she will take the footprint and pegs etc. We also see food and drink as a luxury as you can see by the proper coffee and wine :innocent:

Food that we always pack:
Oatso easy with Woolworths freeze dried fruit bits in it.
Granola and Klim
Wraps with tomato paste and babybels plus whatever else for pizzas

I do have lists for each trip + weights etc. I enjoy the planning :laughing:

Just get a smaller pack and pack less. Then you don’t have to worry about it ever being over 15kg. I don’t know why you would need a top cover pocket?

Top pocket is where my maps go.

https://lighterpack.com/r/vsn1yv
Not quite there yet, need to fine tune and thin out the food, but Im down 4 KG’s on last years hike! Copied and pasted from my excel sheet.

Top pocket for me keeps my maps and night time must access stuff every break I mark on the map our position to create a rough paper trail route I like planning too!