Faster, further, freer: Light and ultralight hiking in SA (and how to lighten your pack)

Hi Jaxz, Not a quilt fan - I love the hoodie!

I hope you dont mind I dont want to hijack this thread with my thought developments so Im going to ping you a message directly.

Cumulus is Poland based company that made bags for Criterion, a UK based company.
The Cumulus has fabric made from 19g/m2 Toray Airtastic® and the Criterion Quantum from Pertex Quantum 35 g/m2, filled with finest Polish goose down… I cant see there not being a link!
Semantics.

There is a hoodless version of the Cumulus Xlite 300, which reduces the weight by 110g…but I love my hoods!

If I was to go Cumulus I would go down this route - No idea about the light weigh fabric, but they should know what they’re doing. Less than £300 and less than 500g for a 1C bag.

My cousin just (Nov 21) ordered and received his Lanshan 2 Pro from China, paid R2600 and R62,50 tax. Not bad. Had to seam seal it himself though.

He’s chuffed.

Im yo-yoing between the Pro and the inner liner - Inner Liner seems the way forwards

Doesn’t look like Cumulus will ship to SA. Freight forwarder means more costs.

I’ll be flying back from the UK And of April, so going to tie it all together.

Considering Cumulus is an internet company they should.

@scubafrique
Have you decided on a pack?
That Granite Gear Blaze looks great. I see too it receives many accolades…

Firstly if I diddnt have access to people or myself travelling to Europe and I were SA based I would but the First Ascent Jupiter (or Venus if I could find a non red one)
The actual service you receive locally is streets ahead of the imported brands. I’ve experienced it first hand. And am currently sitting with a bag that’ll take another month to get warranty repaired/ replaced or warranty rejected a guide had his FA replaced in an afternoon!

But as it is - Yep Granite Gear Blaze 60 although I’m going to spray paint the picnic table cloth parts (and I havent decided black or kapoon…

Looked into the Gregory’s and the one Osprey too but the GG does it for me.

Ultimately you can’t test the bag till you ship it out though which sucks. But if it doesn’t work I can sell it.

I’ve traditionally liked compartmentalisation particularly for the sleeping bag section but with the full length access zipper I can struggle through. I’m not convinced about how effective this will be or how I’ll pack for it.
I’m very much a each item has a place kind of guy it’s the only way I can keep track of what goes where and access stuff without looking for it or leaving things behind
Some people count off… sort of spectacles testicles wallet and watch I just like methodical packing.
This video link covers things well but the important points for me are
A water bladder holder
Two enormous cinched side pockets.
Two generous hip pockets
Lid pocket.
Attachment points on the lid

2 Likes

The GG Crown 60 also looks good.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/rucksacks-c19/all-rucksacks-c134/crown-2-60-litre-rucksack-p8263

Unlike much of Osprey kit GG’s seems to have been thought through more comprehensively. And, of course, lightweight.

I read once osprey packs look like an old drunk lady with too much make up. Harsh. But hilariously true. They remind me also of the tragic consumerist model of “on this model you can have this but you can’t have that. For that you must get that model that does have that, but not this” etc etc.

Hope the GG works out for you. Maybe don’t spray the table-clothy parts just yet.:grin:

The load rating on the Crown 60 isn’t particularly heavy - Its more suited to a smaller bag, whats the point of a 60L capacity that only carries 15 kilo’s

On THE KRUGER TRAIL we start with 5L of water 6kg of food add a 1.2Kg rucksack, 2kg tent and 1kg sleeping system theres your 15kg. without even a head torch or speedo! No point! Its suitable for a 40L rucksack, but not for our conditions.

I have no idea where you’d need 60L that only carries 15kg - maybe a feather duvet salesman?

1 Like

Agreed. I just noticed that after i commented. Seems utterly pointless. And one reviewer actually suggested 15kg was a high rating for the bag…thinking more 11-13kg max

1 Like

So did anyone end up importing a bag to figure out how much the duties will be once it hits SA?

Having a look back at some receipts, when I ordered from Atom in the UK it seems to have been 30% but there is also VAT to pay. I’m not sure if it is the same from the US. To be honest it always feels a little random what category you get put under. Think it should be 4202.1, which is technically 20% out of the UK/EU and 30% for the US. Just never had the energy to fight anyone about it :upside_down_face:

Funny thing for me is as soon as anything is attached to a sport there is no import tax. Hike competitively!

OK so expect 50% all in.

1 Like

Hi all, I hope you are well.

a Friend and I are going to attempt the GT mid-to-end September. This will be our second attempt.

After the previous attempt I’ve been convinced to shed as much weight as possible. Please find herewith the link to my lighterpack setup. I’d love any advice or remarks.
https://lighterpack.com/r/42zsgo

(at a quick lunchtime glance…)

I’d scrap the following:
Rainpants (maybe)
Groundsheet (what’s it for?)
Pack rain cover (unless it’s to keep your pack fabric from absoring water use bagliner / binbag)
Rain Poncho (emergency)
folding bucket (Looks like it’s not in anyway)
Sleeping roll (you have a pad already)

With food it’s usually a personal tastes matter, but if you take oats or something like that I usually don’t go for individual packets/sachets but one zip-lock bag with measured units, ie use yr camp cup to measure.

But if pressed I’d chuck the biltong, not so much energy there, maybe in fat, but dried meat not too much. The protein is useful though. But flossing is not. I favour seeds, nuts, PB etc. Or even Olive Oil. Very nutritious.

I don’t see loo roll.
You and friend can share spade, gas, pot, etc carry duties. If poss.

1 Like

Thanks!

The Rainpants are on the “maybe” list.

The Groundsheet is to protect the bottom of the tent. (It’s the same size as the inner footprint of the tent). The bottom of the tent is 20d Nylon/Silicone. Do you think that’s tough enough in the berg without a groundsheet?

I could drop the emergency poncho I suppose, and yeah the folding bucket is out already.

The sleeping roll might go but I like it because it 1. protects the sleeping pad, 2. serves as a backup should the sleeping pad have too many punctures, 3. improves the thermal isolation of the sleeping pad. So, while I could let that go, I’m going to try not to unless I really need it.

As for the food: I’ve heard that Olive oil is amazingly energy-dense if you can add it to other stuff. Last time I used nuts and dried berries, and they worked fine, but I ENJOYED the biltong a lot more. I’ll have to think about that ha!

1 Like

Ah.
20d is quite thin. Nature might make short work of it. Especially as you woer around in your tent. But good site selection and good clean up of site will help, guess it might be a trade off between weight for peace of mind and time to find a good spot. Should last though. I’d say after prolonged use it could die. Maybe take some Tenacious Tape with you for field repairs anyway.
(when your tent arrives maybe make the decision after solid inspection?)

Have a look at Sondor (online company in Pta, past Silverlakes), they sell closed cell foam in thin (3mm-5mm) sheets, cut lengths per metre by 2m wide, if I recall. This could save weight, your inflatable and create greater comfort in your tent as can you trim to size. I’ve been meaning to get some…maybe you can ditch your inflatable, take the roll and some sondor?
But good sleep is important!!

Naahh just drink it, neat. Glug. Maybe pop in a clove of garlic, some fresh chilli, ground pepper, salt and herbs, you now have flavour. But don’t drink too much, could grease your tubing. I love the stuff. Also flax seed oil, has plenty essential aminos…

aaanywaayy, food’s a matter of preference really, eg I love PB. Eat it in dollops. Others think it’s disgusting gloop.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice!

Either way I’m looking forward to it. Last time my pack weight was something like 24kgs, if not more.

1 Like

:grimacing:
Anything under 18kg for 10days in the mountains is respectable. And it’ll get lighter as you eat. And you’ll get stronger as you go. Going to be great!!

And maybe some feedback on that tent when you return, I think there are a few eyes on it locally. My cousin has one (in the WC), not thoroughly tested yet, and most reviews I’ve seen come from ‘softer terrains’, soggy Euro grasses etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I was recently forced into UL by a bout of back issues (mostly resolved now), and just one hike was enough to get me seriously hooked on the idea.

The tent arrived today, looking forward to testing it. The material (15d Nylon/Silicone) does feel very thin for someone used to 210T Polyester. The thing I’m most worried about is the wind, but I think that you can do a lot in terms of pitching the tent to deal with the wind better.