Faster, further, freer: Light and ultralight hiking in SA (and how to lighten your pack)

Definitely. One trick is to use a rock wall, you can even build a small one leaving a few gaps between the rocks, this will help to deflect the wind (a little) over the tent, or not have it tug at the hem. Takes time though. But could be the difference. Or use your buddy’s tent as a windbreaker :rofl:

Maybe gather as much info on caves dotted along the way as you can, for backup?

1 Like

Naturehike Spire (Minatet) - an awesome 1 person hiking pole tent -sort of similar to the Lanshan 1 in shape and size except it has rhombiccshape inner so there’s an extra triangle of space for your pack inside the inner tent with you as well as tons of space in the vestibule
If you can imagine the inner tent takes up half the fly foot print well the triangular bit takes up about 1/4 of the vestibule.
Comes in under 1.4kg with groundsheet and too many tent pegs.
By all accounts it’s a discontinued product but if you want a small light hiking pole tent this is brilliant - so much more space than the Lanshan 1 and similar tents. It’s Orange - and 15d sinylon

Takes a bit of fiddling to get it set up but by the 3rd night you’re good if tightly guyed I can’t see it being a problem in windy conditions but I’d not call it 4 season
I cut a hole out a tennis ball to place over my hiking pole as it has a camera mount on top and there’s no damage at all.

One image shows hanging my waterdrop gravity feed bladder off the hiking pole - works like a charm for 4l of water

2 Likes

Yeah, in retrospect I think it would have been better to go with the Lanshan 1 Pro. It’s obviously smaller, but at about the same price you get a much tougher external wall (20d Silnylon instead of 15d Nylon with Silicon coating), and the single pole design does better in harsh winds. It’s a bit lighter as well.

1 Like