Hiking tents: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Hi and welcome, Larry!

I am very happy with my P-Series tent.
Admittedly, I have only used it once… but the design seems solid, it’s easy to pitch and take down, it’s light, and it has more space than I imagined.
Some more thoughts here: "Namping" - a Noob goes Camping

1 Like

Any one in the market for a good 2 person tent. Vango banshee Pro 200 on sale one one day only. R2800!!! (thats very reasonable) https://www.onedayonly.co.za/banshee-pro-200-two-person-tent.html
Do some googling on it as it is a very popular model, Last year I nearly went for this tent but opted for the Nature hike mongar (which I am extremely happy with). But if this sale was on back then… it would have chucked a spanner in the works…

1 Like

You chose well…

I am on the lookout for my first tent. Does anyone have any recommendations of 1 or 2 person tents costing around R2000 - R3000 that can withstand Drakensberg winds and rain?

I’m still having good luck with my Naturehike tents (Cloud Up 2+ and the Star River, which is the same as the Mongar really). Mongar is a solid 2 person size, decent fabric denier and better weight than the 2 local brands. Quality is good but a couple of hundred out of the price range. The Cloud Up range is a little tight on space as someone over 6ft, would need to size up by one.

First Ascent Starlight 2 strikes me as the nicest entry level tent you can walk into a shop here and buy. Cheap, well sized one man and not a nightmare with two and not stupidly heavy. Haven’t had any trouble with one yet.

If solidity in the mountains is a big thing for you, maybe take a look at the Vango tents. Scottish company so they are largely designed assuming you are going to see some bad weather. Good price and weight if you actually wanted a robust one man.

My experience has been around paying attention to the weight, a tent is going to be one of the three heaviest things you carry and this stuff adds up quickly. There is nothing worse to me than hiking while exhausted and broken with overkill equipment. Space can be great if the weather is bad, look at sizing up vs the number of people who are regularly going to use the tent. If it is likely to be actually used by two people, more than one vestibule and door is a game changer.

2 Likes

@Katashi where are you based?
Point being if you’re in Gauteng at Woodmead Value Mart there’s a Trapper’s Trading that has several Vango Tents nicely reduced.

2 Likes

@Carl Thanks a lot, I am based in Gauteng, so your advice is much appreciated.
I’ll make an effort to check them out.

I took @Carl’s advice and went with a Banshee pro 200 for R2100, the weight (2.3 kg) seems good and it seems quite strong.

2 Likes

It gets good reviews and is the latest version of an all-time Vango favourite. Hope it gives you years of joy. :camping:

1 Like

…current price R4250, nicely done!!!

1 Like

Thanks a lot, pitched it in my yard and I’m really happy with the design :camping::camping:

4 Likes

Agree, that’s a really great deal :star_struck: The Banshee always reminds me a lot of some of the Hilleberg designs, which is a good sign!

1 Like

Very nice looking tent for a GREAT price!!

1 Like

Flip was checking out First Ascents Black Friday deals and just spotted that they have a new 1 man tent called “Stamina”! Looks pretty good at the price too. I wonder how it will hold up in the berg? Anyone seen any reviews or posts about it?

The FA Stamina looks like a copy of the Vango Banshee (mentioned a few posts up in this thread). So if you read some Banshee reviews you would get an idea of its weather handling ability, which should be good (Scottish weather and all). One thing that I have picked up on the Banshee is contact seepage (feet touch bottom of tent, flysheet connects inner, feet get wet). You would have to look at the tent dimensions to see if that would be a problem for your length.

Also remember the tent is not freestanding, so you need good peg out points to make it stand up. This shouldnt be an issue in the Berg, but is sometimes a frustration in the Cape Fynbos.

I find it strange that they don’t mention the materials used in the flysheet and floor, making it hard to comment on the durability of the tent. I.e. whether it is nylon or polyester, what the “D” or “T” is. They mention the water column which seems fine, but the “D” and “T” numbers tell a lot more about durability.

My gut feel is that this tent should be durable and a bargain at black friday prices (R1600), but you will definitely find something lighter in the Naturehike camp.

Good choice, I have the same one​:grin::heart_eyes:

Hi Katashi

Do you think a 2m guy with sleeping system and all will fit in a banshee 200? will use it as a 1 man tent only.

1 Like

Nevermind, mailed Vango and they suggested I get either the Helvellyn or Mirage Pro 200, I went with they Mirage cause its 225 long, but its quite heavy at 3kg (Tall people problems hey)

Just wanted to give some brief feedback on 2 shelters I have used lately:

NatureHike VIK 1
This tent REALLY impressed me. It is incredibly solid when pitched and deals with wind very very well. It is a single wall tent, so in humid conditions or when camped close to water, condensation can form in a thin film on the inside, but I have never had condensation get bad enough to drip on me. I do wish that the flysheet door had a “roll up and tie back” system instead of the lightweight hook that you can attach to the one peg-out point (it is a bit more of a pain to close the door when you are wanting to turn in for the night, as you have to exit the tent to unhook this hook before you can zip closed the door). The tent itself is remarkably lightweight for its robust-ness.

Ultimate Direction FK Tarp
Surprisingly, I actually really enjoyed using this. It is a shaped tarp, which I find easier to pitch than a flat tarp. I also think that it provides more livable space. You need 2 trekking poles to pitch it, or it can be pitched using the handlebars of a bicycle. With the trekking poles, you can choose to pitch it high or low depending on the weather. I had some condensation when pitching it low in rain, but nothing that got me wet.

I have videos about both of the above tents on my YouTube channel, Roughing It With Ruth, where I give more information (not sure whether I am allowed to post a link to the channel on this forum…?)

5 Likes

Your channel is great source of hiking information Ruth. Happy to share it :wink: :+1:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGz5PId84WISTxjrmPV5e6Q

6 Likes