Multi-day hiking rations

Good evening all. A group of us are hiking the Tsitsikamma trail in a couple of months and we were advised to keep 2 days worth of food with us in our day packs whilst the rest of our bulky gear gets portered to the accommodation every day. In your collective experience what should we be looking at in terms of rations that we can carry with us?

Your physical size plays a big role in how much food you need to carry - the bigger you are, the more fuel you need. With that in mind, I’m 1.86m tall and weigh 85kg and generally take the following for snacks and lunch:

• 2 Jungle Oats bars
  • 4 Provitas & 2 cheese wedges
  • 1 or 2 sticks of droëwors
  • 1 small packet of chips
  • 1 packet of jelly sweets
  • 1 apple
  • 2L water

I also take a packet of peanuts and raisins that I keep as a backup in case things take longer than expected.

Hope that helps.

There’s no one size fits all approach to food. What works for me (largely chips, biscuits, biltong and dried fruit) doesn’t work for others. Also depends whether or not you are bringing a gas stove.

I usually shoot for 600-800g per day. Make sure you include some “reward food” for the end of the day, memories of a nice piece of fudge at the end of every day on many hikes!

Coffee/hot chocolate can be nice for the end of the day, and a cup of soup is never bad in cold weather.

Don’t forget to eat and drink throughout the day, that is probably the most common mistake people make.