New rain jacket on the block

I’m with you on finding the breathability stuff hard to deal with the subjectivity. Have been trying to buy a windbreaker and the debates over breathability and CFM ratings have me lost. Which is strange as it seems like something you could pretty easily develop an industry standard for.

Still wish the approach to it was always mechanical, I have yet to ever regret having pit zips :sweat_smile:

With the huge variety of options and technologies out there gear-whore me sees things I would like to have but I must question paying those prices for something that will be grossly under-used…:joy:

1 Like

Partner just purchased one of these, nice price too, on sale at present. So I’d be interested to see how it responds to our climate as most reviews reflect Canadian conditions. (We hike mostly summer rainfall areas)

Would love to hear back once they have some time on it. Where did you find it if I may ask? Don’t run into that much Columbia stuff, and they also have an incredibly confusing product range :expressionless: Don’t really get why some of these companies haven’t figured out less is more at this point.

Joburg. She even managed to have it delivered, in Jhb at her sister’s, though I don’t think they do delivery nationally.

They also have mens outdry jacket, the Reign or something, expensive…R4k…

ps I was also looking at windbreakers, BD Alpine Start vs Patagonia Houdini etc but feel these items are ridiculously overpriced (cannot justify it yet). The alpine start at least has some interesting fabric one won’t need to DWR retreat and gets stellar reviews.

Ouch on the men’s price there! Really keen but definitely couldn’t justify replacing my existing jacket :rofl:

The windbreaker prices are crazy, actually managed to pick up a Houdini at a massive discount the other day, end of season on colorways and I’m not too picky. But even then there is still a part of me that is grumpy over the price, it is a piece of nylon and a zip. Haven’t had much of a chance with it yet, but interested to see how breathable it is.

The high end rain jacket plot thickens, with a contender from FA Here

Guessing their target market is Porsche uncles that want to climb Kili. Its interesting though, as there arent many high end jackets in the “normal” retail segment (cape union, outdoor warehouse, etc).

I have seen their new offering - will have to see what people think of it, and how it holds up after some use.

Interesting seeing eVent in use, FA rarely licenses high end materials. Not something I have any use for particularly at that price, but actually really glad to see them doing some higher end stuff.

Always a little thrown by how focused our local brands can be on the lack of knowledge and willingness to spend of the local consumer whenever I talk to them. But then also offer nothing to buy in the higher end space either, or mediocre gear near the same price as highend imports.

Can also feel like it is a fallout from us not having a ‘review culture’, at 6k for a jacket I’m going to want to read something from a range of people who have used it extensively in rough conditions. I can get that for a Patagonia jacket, where as local, half the time it’s a paid for paragraph in Getaway from someone who took the hiking jacket on a 2 day road trip if you are lucky. Arno’s material on here and Ruth’s video feels like the only thing we have at all in that space.

5 Likes

In my view a general Souf Affrican malady: “talk big, take all, offer nothing”.

On a lighter note check out these bad ass Cape Onion hikers. Don’t recall ever feelings so, so, so moody in the outdoors, but what do I know

We should start one…called Gear-Snoot, or “What’s all this then?” or something like “Fong Kong & McCoy”…think I’ll get back to work now
:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Salomon adds a jacket to the mix. With a claimed 20k / 32k Pertex Shield fabric. And in this deep love red. And more prices to make the eyes bleed…but not too badly, you might live.

1 Like

Its quite weird of Salomon to come up with a “heavy” rain jacket (approx. 100g heavier than BD Stormline). But, alas, it is 3 layer. I wonder how breathable it is, and what their main target market is. Maybe as a normal rain jacket, i.e. not meant for running specifically. I am loving this thread now, kind of an armchair rain jacket criticism club, or a support club for those with gear acquisition syndrome but not enough money to buy everything.

3 Likes

Hi,

Have a look at my Inov-8 Stormshell FZ Mens Waterproof Jacket.
While it would not last, should one wish to use it when carrying a fully loaded backpack of 40L plus, it is storm proof.
See https://community.hikingsouthafrica.co.za/t/inov-8-stormshell-fz-mens-waterproof-jacket-medium-blue-green-for-sale/2591

Kind regards,
Ian

Arno get in touch with FA send the jacket to them in Athlone and ask them to rectify the issue. Their service in my experience is above and beyond.

This Waterproof jacket works like a dream - there’s various levels of requiring a waterproof jacket and this above any other.

Yes its Waterproof as it lets not talk about hydrostatic head as thats irrelevant. You could line a swimming pool with this.

No its not new tech, but is manageably light for appropriate conditions.

Yes its 100% non breathable and negates the point of having a hydrostatic head, but with an appropriate layers approach is ideal from when you get caught in a downpour that necessitates going somewhere to sit it out.

Yes this is the expensive one and there are the cheaper ones but this is more durable.

No Im not being completely tongue in cheek!

Yes it retains it waterproofness in warm weather conditions (unlike Goretex) although you sweating on the inside might not make you feel it.
In a winter squall this with a base lawyer and heavy wool jersey underneath is awesome.

Im exploring waterfalls soon and this will keep me drier than my Goretex option.

Hi Graham,
I have this, and it is good rain suit, but would never ever hike in it.
For a slow stroll to the shop, taking out your wheely bin, perhaps taking your dog for a slow walk, etc. it is fine.

You won’t need to explore a waterfall in order to have a shower.
Put this rain suit on, and go for a brisk walk. You’ll be wet on the inside, in no time.

Enjoy the waterfalls,
Ian

So far pretty good. Sleet storm on the Berg escarpment, dry. In a heavy thunderstorms where I was drenched in my Columbia Omnitech but she was dry. Happy. Been less than a year though…so we’ll see.

But stocks are fading and unlikely to be replaced. It’s a small cut re sizing so that’s another thing.

1 Like

Not sure if this is news, but Gone Outdoor decided to enter the “rich dad going to Kili” market.

Looks like a nice jacket, though. 3 layer Goretex with a Patagonia label? Sign me up! Outdoor groupies not included in the price.

Am I the only one who misread that name the first time and wondered why they would name a jacket “toilet” :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh my! :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
So funny!